St Joseph dethrones Kisumu Day to win soccer giants’ title
St. Joseph Secondary School Kisumu are the new champions of the sixth edition of the Secondary Schools Soccer Giants championship held at Jomo Kenyatta Sports Ground in Kisumu over the weekend.
The new champions defeated Kisumu Boys 3-0 to dethrone defending champions Kisumu Day. The one-sided match ended Kisumu Boys’ long-standing dominance of football in the county fs.
Two first-half goals by Edward Onyango and Richard Otieno put the new champions on pole position before Jonte Owino’s 60th minute superb strike sealed a fantastic victory for St Joseph.
Coach Kelvin Oduk praised his team for their consistency in the two-day tournament saying hard work and confidence was key to their victory.
“The boy’s performed well since day one and I am happy they showed resilience and hunger to win matches. Ending the tournament without losing is a morale booster as we prepare for the term two football games,” Oduk said. The defending champions, Kisumu Day, however, did not reach the finals and settled for third place after edging out Kassagam High School 3-0.
Paul Odhiambo scored a brace and Tony Omondi added a third for the defending Kisumu County Secondary Schools boys’ football champions and head coach Andrew Aroka was satisfied despite not winning the top prize.
“The tournament was for gauging our strengths as we prepare to defend our county title and am happy with the performance of the boy’s. This is a new team and now we are going to rectify on our lapses and mistakes before the term two games,” he said.
- Female journalist fights star Kenyan footballer over hot chickGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- 'Vagina-shaped' stadium unveiled in Qatar ahead of the 2022 World Cup (Photos)Football 3 weeks ago
- What is a walkover in modern day football?Football 4 weeks ago
- Has Ian Wright just leaked Arsenal's new kits? Post showing Adidas strips deletedFootball 3 days ago
- Target shooting: Kenyan father and son return home with medalsSports 1 month ago
- AFCON: Migne eager to know Harambee Stars’ opponentsFootball 1 month ago
- SPL: Gor's time to party has comeFootball 1 week ago