St Joseph dethrones Kisumu Day to win soccer giantsâ€™ title
St. Joseph Secondary School Kisumu are the new champions of the sixth edition of the Secondary Schools Soccer Giants championship held at Jomo Kenyatta Sports Ground in Kisumu over the weekend.
The new champions defeated Kisumu Boys 3-0 to dethrone defending champions Kisumu Day. The one-sided match ended Kisumu Boys’ long-standing dominance of football in the county fs.
Two first-half goals by Edward Onyango and Richard Otieno put the new champions on pole position before Jonte Owino’s 60th minute superb strike sealed a fantastic victory for St Joseph.
Coach Kelvin Oduk praised his team for their consistency in the two-day tournament saying hard work and confidence was key to their victory.
“The boy’s performed well since day one and I am happy they showed resilience and hunger to win matches. Ending the tournament without losing is a morale booster as we prepare for the term two football games,” Oduk said. The defending champions, Kisumu Day, however, did not reach the finals and settled for third place after edging out Kassagam High School 3-0.
Paul Odhiambo scored a brace and Tony Omondi added a third for the defending Kisumu County Secondary Schools boys’ football champions and head coach Andrew Aroka was satisfied despite not winning the top prize.
“The tournament was for gauging our strengths as we prepare to defend our county title and am happy with the performance of the boy’s. This is a new team and now we are going to rectify on our lapses and mistakes before the term two games,” he said.
- Is this Bidco United’s yearSports 1 day ago
- Nadal eases into third round in MelbourneTennis 1 day ago
- Man United fined by FA for players misconductPremier League 10 hours ago
- Stars sweat over Adel’s Sh108m debtFootball 1 day ago
- Former Super Eagles star Ikpeba to grace Soya galaSports 2 days ago
- FA hit back at Klopp and Guardiola Premier League 1 day ago
- Farah to face Bekele in Big Half race in LondonAthletics 2 days ago