Zarika defeats Phiri to retain her WBC Super Bantamweight championship title [Photos]
Fatuma Zarika retained her WBC Super Bantamweight championship title after beating Zambia's Catherine Phiri in Nairobi on Saturday night.
Zarika retained her belt by unanimous decision in the entertaining rematch against the Zambian at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC).
The Kenyan first won the title after she dethroned the then-defending champion Alicia Ashley of Jamaica on October 1, 2016, in a shock victory in New York.
Zarika had been training in Liverpool for the last one and a half months under the tutelage of Briton Declan O’Rourke.
It was the third time for the Kenyan pugilist to defend the title after beating Phiri and Mexican Yamileth Mercado last year.
Phiri who jetted to Nairobi from Lusaka on Tuesday had promised to inflict defeat on the world champion in the return clash as she was not ready to make the same mistakes she made in the previous match.
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 2 months ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 1 month ago