Zarika defeats Phiri to retain her WBC Super Bantamweight championship title [Photos]
Fatuma Zarika retained her WBC Super Bantamweight championship title after beating Zambia's Catherine Phiri in Nairobi on Saturday night.
Zarika retained her belt by unanimous decision in the entertaining rematch against the Zambian at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC).
The Kenyan first won the title after she dethroned the then-defending champion Alicia Ashley of Jamaica on October 1, 2016, in a shock victory in New York.
Zarika had been training in Liverpool for the last one and a half months under the tutelage of Briton Declan O’Rourke.
It was the third time for the Kenyan pugilist to defend the title after beating Phiri and Mexican Yamileth Mercado last year.
Phiri who jetted to Nairobi from Lusaka on Tuesday had promised to inflict defeat on the world champion in the return clash as she was not ready to make the same mistakes she made in the previous match.
- Why Chelsea striker wants to leave clubFootball 1 month ago
- Boxing: Anthony Joshua slammed for remarks on RonaldoBoxing 1 month ago
- Ronaldo: Juventus bought me to help them do things they have never done beforeFootball 1 month ago
- Five football players who stood up to racial abuseFootball 1 week ago
- Champions League round of 16 second leg preview: Dortmund must go all out against TottenhamFootball 1 month ago
- Football: Jurgen Klopp mocked after blaming WIND for derby stalematePremier League 1 month ago
- Another Man United injury! Star defender gets injured during international breakFootball 4 weeks ago