Neymar injury nightmare: star set to miss both legs of Champions League tie vs Manchester United
Paris Saint-Germain boss Thomas Tuchel has admitted he does not expect to have Neymar fit to face Manchester United, with the world's most expensive player increasingly unlikely to feature in either leg of the Champions League last 16 tie.
The Brazilian limped off in tears after suffering another metatarsal injury in a French Cup win over Strasbourg in midweek.
Initial examinations confirmed that Neymar has a "reactivation of the lesion of the fifth right metatarsal,"
But he still cannot put weight on his right foot and has been told he has no chance of making the first leg at Old Trafford on February 12.
The severity of the injury has yet to be fully determined however and Neymar could still be forced to undergo an operation with Brazil's team doctor set to meet with PSG medical staff this week.
A similar injury last season saw the Brazilian superstar miss the final three months of the season, before returning to action at the World Cup.
And hopes are now almost non-existent that he will be able to play against United in the return leg in France either.
"It will be very difficult to have him with us to play against Manchester United ," admitted Tuchel on Sunday night, speaking after the win over Rennes.
"It will be very difficult. As I said yesterday, it is too early to speak about his return.
"To start with, we must wait at least one week - this and his reaction to treatment will be vital.
"Only then can we be more precise. Still, it is no secret, it will be very tough."
In the absence of their £200million forward, PSG continued their unbeaten run in Ligue 1, with a comfortable 4-1 win over Rennes.
- Mathare United emulate Gor by exporting one of their brightest talentsFootball 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 week ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 week ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 1 month ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 2 weeks ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 2 weeks ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 2 weeks ago