Swinging for a worthy cause: Nyali golfer shines after false start
Stokes posts 40 Stableford points to win Gertrude’s Children’s Hospital Charity Tournament.
She is not new to the par 71 Nyali Golf and Country Club course in Mombasa County. After all, she has called it home for the last 10 years.
Susan Stokes, the golfer from Coast region and a veteran in her own right, enjoys unending golf skills and support from her husband John Stokes, who is a senior golfer and also the Nyali Club captain.
But Stokes has not been at her usual best this year. It has been a real struggle that thankfully changed on Saturday. At close of business, she gave a brief speech on the winner’s podium, having just bagged the overall title in the Gertrude’s Children’s Hospital Charity Golf Tournament.
This is an annual event where a particular area of charity work is selected and partners donate money raised through the golf tournament.
Stokes endured the challenging course to post an excellent score of 40 Stableford points and with that, claimed the overall title in the one-day tournament that attracted 100 golfers.
Despite a false start with a double bogey on the par-five first hole and later a scratch on the par-four 13th hole, Stokes got her groove back and brought 11 level pars in both nines after playing mixed bogey shots on the rest.
“The course has not been kind to me but this charity event called for utmost support as golfers,” said Stokes.
- Chelsea star set for Manchester United move Football 1 day ago
- Mane paints hometown red by donating 300 Liverpool shirtsFootball 5 hours ago
- Liverpool fans stranded ahead of Champions League finalFootball 1 hour ago
- Ronaldo versus SalahFootball 19 hours ago
- What Beckham asked Zidane to do ahead of Champions League finalFootball 2 hours ago
- Messi under pressure to deliver in RussiaFootball 19 hours ago
- Ronaldinho to marry TWO women at the same time after meeting them in DecemberGossip & Rumours 1 day ago