Kindiki: War on banditry 70pc won


Interior CS Kindiki shares a meal with security officers in the North Rift on Boxing Day. [Fred Kagonye, Standard]

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki says war on banditry has been contained by 70 percent.

He made the sentiments following a meeting and sharing a Boxing Day meal with officers serving in the frontline at Karanga Joto, at the border of Baringo North and Tiaty Sub-Counties in Baringo County. 

In his statement, Kindiki expressed his optimism that in 2024, the ministry will completely eradicate the menace that has hindered development in the North Rift Region.

“The Government aims at eradicating the menace of banditry and destroying its political, cultural and commercial networks. 2024 is a decisive year. The suppression of bandit terror will give way to opening up of the region through social amenities, economic infrastructure and durable peace-building programs spearheaded by the Government but involving non-governmental stakeholders,” Kindiki says.

“We have covered at least 70% in this war and the remaining 30% in a few parts of Samburu East, Samburu West, Isiolo County, and Turkana County, we are closing in on the criminals hiding there and orchestrating attacks in isolated areas...”

The CS also distributed Christmas season celebrations food items for the Anti-Stock Theft Unit (ASTU), Rapid Deployment Unit(RDU) camps in Ngaratuko, Kagir, and Loruk and for Loruk Police Station, Yatya Police Post and local National Police Reservists (NPRs) in the region.