News

School hit again by strange annually recurring dormitory fire that last year made headteacher collapse in shock

Last year May 31, Nyabondo boys boarding primary school head teacher was hospitalized in shock after an 8 o’clock fire razed down a 145 bed dormitory.

Mr George Otieno was rushed to Nyabondo mission hospital in Nyakach in the morning incident that destroyed all items for class 4 and five students using the dormitory.

Once again, a fire has forced 69 pupils going on half term lose property, school head current Tom Okello confirmed today, Monday.

The repair works on the earlier burned dormitories were barely complete and seemingly the fires are not letting them a break as incidents make an annual re-occurrence.

The school deputy head teacher, Mr. Michael Osamba said in the last year incident the pupils were in class at that time and none had been injured.

ALSO READ: President who? Team wants fancy titles gone

The Monday incident is now the third time a similar incident occurring in the school.

According to a source we spoke to over the last year incident, the cause of a fire in an earlier incident on March 3 2016 had not been established by the time the second fire occurred.

Nyakach sub-county education director, then Mr Alex Duro said the school management had resolved to have the affected pupils away from school till further arrangements on their accommodation were made in consultation with parents.

Mr Duro dismissed claims that the school had administrative wrangles that could have led to the series of fires and urged the public to shun speculations and avail the police with any information that would assist in investigating the cause of the fire.

 

Get the top stories delivered to your inbox every day