Campaigns intensify as IEBC clears eight for ward poll
By Kepher Otieno | October 28th 2020
Campaigns for the Kisumu North ward by-election has intensified after the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) cleared eight candidates to battle for the seat.
Returning Officer Dennis Omari yesterday warned candidates against engaging in violence. He called for peaceful campaigns.
"We want all candidates to have a fair chance to market their policies and allow voters to make an informed decision," said Mr Omari.
Those cleared include Samwel Dede of the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM), Gerald Ogada of Ford-Kenya and John Ouko of Amani National Congress (ANC).
Others are Walter Okello (Independent), Hanningtone Onyango (Movement for Democratic Growth), Dan Osila (Independent), Joshua Ogada (Independent) and David Ayieko of Kadu-Asili.
The candidates have submitted their campaign rally calendars to IEBC to enable the commission to monitor their campaigns.
The seat fell vacant following resignation of Elisha Oraro, who was elected the Kisumu Assembly speaker early this year.
Mr Oraro took over from Onyango Oloo who was impeached.
The former speaker had sought redress in court but the case is yet to be decided.
Lionesses happy to have finally played despite two losses
- Kenya 7s captain Amonde set to hang up his boots after early exit at Tokyo 2020
- Olympics: New Zealand beat Kenya in women’s rugby sevens
- Olympics: Kenyans can relax as there was no typhoon
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession