The Ministry of Health says there is no cause for alarm after a suspected case of Ebola in Kakamega County turned negative.
The 32-year-old male patient, who had travelled to Uganda, was admitted to a Mumias hospital with Ebola symptoms on Thursday.
Acting Health Director General Dr Patrick Amoth, in a statement on Saturday however said that samples of the suspected case were taken to the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) laboratory for testing and turned out negative.
"We would like to inform the public that the laboratory tests for samples taken from the patient have since turned out to be Negative and therefore there is no cause for alarm," Amoth said.
Members of the public have however been urged to exercise vigilance as infections of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) continue to rise in Uganda.
The Health Ministry says it has heightened surveillance and screening at all points of entry into the country to minimize the spread of the disease.
- Ministry assesses healthcare facilities in a bid to improve services
- Medical graduates protest to demand internship placement
"We appeal to members of the public to minimize their movements in and out of the country through entry points along our Western border unless it is extremely necessary. Those crossing at any of our border points should exercise maximum care as advised and guided by our health personnel at the entry points," said Amoth.
On September 20, health authorities in Uganda declared an outbreak of Ebola disease caused by the Sudan virus (SUDV), after a case was confirmed in a village of Madudu Sub-County in Mubende District, central Uganda.
Uganda has so far reported seven deaths and 35 total confirmed cases.