What could make your ovaries go on an early retirement?
By NANCY NZALAMBI | 2 months ago
Premature menopause can occur naturally, without any clear reason or it can be brought about by any of these conditions;
1. Removal of both ovaries (Bilateral oophorectomy)
The surgical removal of both ovaries will end your periods right away. Your estrogen hormone levels will quickly drop and you will start manifesting strong menopausal symptoms.
2. Chemotherapy and radiation treatment on pelvic cancers
Not all women who go through chemotherapy and radiation of the pelvic area will go through early menopause. However, such treatments can cause serious damage in the ovaries and your periods may stop for some time.
The surgical removal of the uterus can bring about premature menopause, may be a year or two earlier than expected. You will no longer have periods but since the ovaries are intact, they will continue to produce hormones.
4. Family history
Women who have a close relative—either a mother or a sister—who has experienced premature menopause are more likely to have premature menopause.
5. Health conditions
· Autoimmune disorders such as lupus, Grave’s disease and hypothyroidism may cause the body immune system to mistakenly attack the ovaries and prevent them from optimal production of hormones.
· Chronic fatigue syndrome that causes extreme weakness, unrefreshing sleep, memory loss, headache, muscle and joint pains has been shown to cause premature menopause.
· HIV and AIDS. Research has shown that women with HIV but not adhering to the antiretroviral therapy regimen have a higher chance of developing early menopause and with more severe menopausal symptoms.
· Chromosomal abnormalities. Women with chromosomal conditions such as Tuner’s syndrome who at birth, they lack all or part of one X chromosome end up having abnormal ovaries. These will in time cause abnormal menstruation cycles and early menopause.
Anti-aging skincare ingredients dermatologists love
By PAULINE MUINDI
Princess Beatrice gives birth to baby girl, Queen Elizabeth’s 12th great-grandchild
Everything you need to know about microblading
By ESTHER DIANAH
Key winners for the 2021 Emmy Awards
What the loss of a child does to a mother
By NANCY NZALAMBI
Emmy Awards 2021: The best from the red carpet
Fashion and Beauty
By LOLITA BUNDE
Six hygiene tips you should pass down to your daughter
By ESTHER MUCHENE
Tips on how to select the perfect bra
By ESTHER DIANAH
Could sweet potatoes and green tea save you from stress?
By AYOKI ONYANGO