While humility is widely seen as a virtue everyone should have, a disproportionate amount of emphasis is placed on women to be humble.
It is seen as a feminine trait to be unassertive and agreeable at all times and, because this is taught from a young age, many women assume this role on various occasions to their detriment:
1. Avoiding advocating for yourself in order not to appear aggressive.
2. Feeling guilty or embarrassed about putting yourself first and asking for what you want and deserve.
3. Talking down or failing to mention your accomplishments.
4. Shying away from networking because you don’t know how to talk about yourself in a manner that highlights your competitive advantages.
5. Not placing enough emphasis on building your personal brand.
For many people, both women and men, women who are assertive about self-promotion are viewed as arrogant and aggressive. This deters many women from tooting their own horn and ultimately, holds them back on many fronts.