Preparing kienyeji chicken is one thing. However, ensuring your chicken is tender and can be removed from the bone easily without hurting one's teeth is another. Here are some tips and tricks up our sleeve on how to get that soft kienyeji chicken.
Tip 1: Wash with vinegar
Vinegar is a sure way of killing germs and adding moisture to your meat. It will tenderize it by removing all the gooey and fatty pats that are on the skin. Much as kienyeji chicken has minimal fats, you still want to have fat on the low.
Tip 2: Let the chicken marinate overnight
The longer the marinating time, the juicier, flavorful and tenderer your chicken will be. Choosing to marinate overnight gives your chicken more time to rest and take in all the spices.
Tip 3: Boil chicken for long
Kienyeji chicken is hard-core free range. To mean, the meat is tough and cannot cook in few minutes. You need to let it boil for about one to two hours. For better results, maybe three hours.
ALSO READ: 20-minute meals: Lemon-baked fish fillet
• 1 kuku kienyeji (cut in pieces)
• 3 red onions (diced)
•4 tomatoes (pureed) and 2 teaspoons tomato paste
• 3/4 cup of plain yogurt
• 2 tbsps of tomato paste
• 1 tsp of paprika
ALSO READ: Easy, hearty warm tomato soup
• 1 tsp of cumin powder
• 1 tsp of cayenne powder
• 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
• 2 tsps of garlic powder
• 1 tsp of black pepper
• 1 tsp of salt to taste
•1/2 cup of crushed ginger and garlic paste
1. Clean your chicken under running water, drain the excess water then proceed to clean it with white vinegar. Allow it to sit in the vinegar for about 10 minutes then discard the vinegar.
2. Mix all the ingredients to form the marinade and toss the chicken in then leave it overnight.
3. Put your chicken in a pot with water to the brim and boil for 2-3 hours. Every 25 minutes, add more water as you toss the chicken.
4. Check how tender your chicken is after 2 hours. Poke it with a fork and see if it goes through smoothly. If it’s tender, drain the remaining water and add 4tbsp cooking oil and the diced onions, cooking for a minute.
5. Add the tomato puree and tomato paste and stir. Cook for ten minutes and add water if desired for more broth. Check your seasoning and turn off flame!
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.