ALSO READ: Ten things you should never put on your face
Most of us are familiar with macadamia nuts as a snack that is often considered a delicacy. They are harvested from the macadamia tree and then extracted by crushing the tough outer shell. This nut is high in soluble vegetable fats and protein. Its oil, a rich aromatic golden liquid, is a boon for both hair and skin. It can make a great addition to your whole family’s skin care regime.
Here are five reasons why macadamia nut oil is so good for your skin:
1) Gentle enough for sensitive skin - Because it is an edible nut with no chemical additives, this oil is safe enough to eat directly. Due to its food-grade qualities, macadamia nut oil is highly nourishing for your face and body.
2) Easily absorbed - Macadamia nut oil has a unique lipid profile. The fatty acids present in its formulation are more nutrient dense than olive oil or coconut oil. It works well as a moisturiser when applied directly on damp skin straight from the shower or after washing your face. Unlike heavier chemical oils such as those derived from petrolatum, macadamia nut oil does not leave a residue on the skin. Within a few minutes, your body will have absorbed it so it will not stain your clothing or sleepwear.
3) Light but versatile - Unlike heavy natural butters and oils, macadamia nut oil is deeply moisturising but non-comedogenic. That means it can be used on people with acne or oily skin, and even works for oil cleansing to draw out makeup and impurities. It is also safe enough to use all over your baby.
4) Affordable - Sold in large glass bottles in major supermarkets, macadamia nut oil is locally produced within Kenya therefore it is a cheaper alternative to other plant oils and butters. A little goes a long way and you can add it to your daily sunscreen, night cream, lotion or moisturiser.
5) Pleasant scent - Macadamia nut oil does not qualify to be called an essential oil, simply because it is not concentrated enough, but it has a mild and pleasant nutty aroma that some even describe as ‘chocolatey.’ This makes it ideal to pour into your bath water or even to use as a massage oil on yourself or your loved ones.
Macadamia nut oil is undoubtedly the next big thing. Due to its impressive fatty acid profile, it is unmatched in its skincare benefits. Why not try some today?