Skin tags are little raised protrusions on your skin that you can feel when you touch with your fingers. They usually occur in older individuals past middle age, or people who are diabetic, obese, or due to heredity.
There is no reason to remove them except for cosmetic reasons. Ask a doctor to confirm that what you have are skin tags and not moles or warts. You can have them removed by your dermatologist, or by trying any of the natural remedies below.
1. Apple cider vinegar (ACV): Soak a cotton ball in the vinegar and press it onto the skin tag for ten to 15 minutes. You may hold the cotton wool in place or use a band aid. Do this two-three times a day until the skin tag falls off. This may take a few days to a month. Apple cider vinegar is a strong acid, therefore, use it wisely. If your skin stings too much then apply it for a shorter duration or dilute it slightly.
2. Castor oil with bicarbonate of soda: Combine a little castor oil with bicarbonate of soda until it forms a thick paste. Apply the paste on the skin tag and rub it in. Do this twice a day; at night there’s no harm in sleeping with the paste on. The skin tag should fall off within two weeks.
3. Tea tree oil: This essential oil is known for its anti fungal and antiseptic properties. Rub a little oil onto the skin tag at least twice a day. You may apply it up to several times a day. With regular application, the skin tag will loosen and fall off within three weeks.
4. Thread or dental floss: This is an old remedy that was passed on from our grandmothers to our mothers. Use thread or floss to bind the base of the skin tag tightly. Be gentle as this should not be painful. The binding cuts the blood supply of the skin tag, therefore, it falls naturally within a few days. This method may be tedious if you have many skin tags.
5. Lemon juice: Soak cotton wool in some fresh lemon juice and apply it on the skin tags. Do this twice a day and they should fall off within two to four weeks.
Ensure that your skin is clean and dry before applying these remedies. Once the tag has fallen off, apply vitamin E to speed up healing and nourish the skin.