Family in agony after St Charles Lwanga Inchuni Girls student goes missing

St Charles Lwanga Inchuni Girls High School. [Sammy Omingo, Standard]

A family has been in agony for the last 10 days after their daughter disappeared from school.

Judy Moraa, the mother of the St Charles Lwanga Inchuni Girls’ student, said she received information that her daughter was missing.

It is not exactly clear what time the Form Three student left the school, or the circumstances under which she left.

On Tuesday, Moraa, accompanied by other parents, went to the school demanding to know the truth about the girl’s disappearance. However, they were denied entry.

“I received a call from an unknown number and the caller seemed to inquire about the whereabouts of my daughter. I was later called to the school but the management did not initially tell me why they wanted me to travel to the school,” said Moraa.

“We searched the entire school compound but my daughter was nowhere to be seen. Not even her uniform could be traced.”

The mother said she has visited nearly all her relatives in search of her daughter but to no avail.

“I do not know why the school won’t let us inspect the CCTV footage,” Moraa said, noting that some of her daughter’s clothes were found in a toilet. I need assurance my daughter was actually in school on the day she disappeared.”

Record statement

The family reported the matter at the Ramasha Police Station. Sub-county police boss Samuel Gitau said they will summon the principal to record a statement over the incident.

“The girl went missing from school and if there was a case of negligence, then we will forward the file to the Director of Public Prosecutions for criminal charges against those responsible,” Gitau said.

Local DCI officers said the CCTV footage they received from the school was not clear, and had been forwarded to Nairobi for further analysis.

“The lights were off, but we have experts who will give us a better analysis and a way forward,” said one of the officers.

Sub-county Education Officer David Sankaka called on the parents to remain calm as security officers investigate the matter. “We know they are in pain but we will do everything possible to trace the missing child.”

Last month, a student from the school was allegedly defiled by a medic in a nearby hospital where she had been admitted to. The perpetrator was arrested and later charged at the Keroka Law Courts.

A week ago, another schoolgirl was allegedly married off to an aged man, who lives not far from the school. The suspect was later apprehended.

“We will not play around with matters touching on our children. All those involved in such crimes will face the consequences.”