Please enable JavaScript to view advertisements.
×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Join Thousands Daily
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download App

State in northeast Nigeria shuts schools after Islamist killings

Maiduguri, Nigeria: Nigeria's northeasterly Borno state has ordered all of its schools to shut to protect children after Islamists killed dozens of pupils in an attack last month, an official from the state Education Ministry and several parents said on Friday.

Security officials said the militant Boko Haram group had shot or burned to death at least 29 pupils in a boarding school in northeast Nigeria, although a journalist who counted bodies in the morgue after the attack put the figure at 59.

Premium Article

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.

Fact-first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
Continue Reading  →
What you get
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimised reading
  • Weekly newsletters & digests
Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payments Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902
Support Independent Journalism

Stand With Bold Journalism.
Stand With The Standard.

Journalism can't be free because the truth demands investment. At The Standard, we invest time, courage and skills to bring you accurate, factual and impactful stories. Subscribe today and stand with us in the pursuit of credible journalism.

Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payment Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902

Follow The Standard on Google News