× Digital News Videos Opinion Special Reports Lifestyle Central Coast Eastern Nairobi North Eastern Nyanza Rift Valley Western Business News Stocks Financial Standard Africa Asia America Europe Weird News Editorial Commentary Letters Crazy World Features Entertainment Money & Careers Health & Science Sci & Tech Home & Away Generation Next Cartoon Education Pointblank Environment Travel & Destination Columns Kipkoech Tanui uReport Kiambu Murang'a Nyandarua Kirinyaga Nyeri Baringo Bomet Elgeyo Kajiado Kericho Laikipia Nakuru Nandi Narok Samburu Trans Nzoia Turkana Mombasa Kwale Kilifi Tanariver Taita Taveta Kakamega Vihiga Bungoma Busia Siaya Kisumu Homabay Migori Kisii Nyamira Nairobi Uasin Gishu West Pokot Sunday Magazine The Hague Trial Kenya @ 50 Education and Training Health and Environment Insurance and Financial Security Housing Current Affairs Humour Makau Mutua David Oginde Clay Muganda Comand Your Morning Mohamed Wehliye Wednesday Life Alexander Chagema Arts & Culture Kamotho Waiganjo Barrack Muluka Xn Iraki Urban Rights - By Steve Ouma Branding Voice KCB Fredrick Ogola Sunday Magazine Wanja Kavengi Njoki Kaigai David Oginde Ken Opalo Daisy Maritim Houghton Irungu Hustle News Group Stages Round of 16 Quarter Finals Semi Finals Finals Third Place play-offs Opinion Dr Pesa Podcasts Round Table Sepetuko Eve Woman Ramadhan Special Fact Check Correction Explainers The Standard Insider Blog E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Jilted lover kills three after he torches house

By Ignatius Odanga | August 14th 2020 at 10:00:00 GMT +0300

Three family members were burnt beyond recognition after a house they were sleeping in was set ablaze by a jilted lover.

The Wednesday night incident has shocked the residents of Munyanja village in Funyula constituency, Busia County.

The three who died were Evalyne Adaki, who had allegedly been inherited by the man who is suspected to have torched the house, Mwende Adaki, 35, and Rose Adaki. A fourth occupant, a minor aged three, was saved.

Some relatives to the those who died blamed police officers for their inaction. John Adaki claimed police failed to act after threats that led to the tragedy were reported to them.

Police recovered a bottle of petrol that was sprayed on the house before it was set ablaze. After setting the house on fire, the attacker closed the door from outside, making it impossible for the occupants to escape.

Evelyne is said to have reported the death threats she received from the alleged assailant only identified as Juma at the Port Victoria Police Station, but no action was taken.

“After he was rejected, he vowed to do something nasty to the family and true to his words, three people are dead,” said John.

“Police failed to arrest the suspect before he committed this heinous act. The threats were reported but no action was taken against the offending man,” he added.

John managed to break into the house that was burning, but only saved the minor as the three were already dead.

Police collected the charred remains yesterday. Investigation into the matter has been launched, even as the suspect remains at large.

The incident was confirmed by Samia Sub-county Police Commander Winny Siele. “We have started investigation and we hope to arrest the culprit and arraign him,” said Siele.

Busia County Port Victoria Police Station
Share this story

Read More