Pupil chokes to death after swallowing mandazi
By Fay Ngina
| February 6th 2020
A class five pupil at the Onyalo Primary School died after choking on mandazi on Tuesday, February 4.
Josiah Ombura is said to have choked to death after a piece of the mandazi he was eating got stuck on his throat.
The Suna Central Chief Caleb Ombura confirmed the incident stating that the pupil was pronounced dead when they arrived at the Migori Level five hospital after attempts to administer first aid.
According to the headteacher, Dean Odhiambo, the pupil was playing with his fellow students when the incident happened.
Mr Odhiambo states that Josiah first shared the mandazi with his colleagues, but when more pupils came, he swallowed it.
“The deceased was dividing mandazi among colleagues, and when more pupils came, he tried to swallow it to prevent him from sharing before it chocked him,” said the headteacher.
Ombura says they are waiting for the official autopsy to establish the actual cause of death as police launch investigations.
His body was taken to the Migori Referral Hospital mortuary.
Uproar after Kenya’s 2020 Olympics kit is unveiledDescribed by some as a hotbed of talent in track and field events, Kenya has often performed well in Olympics and is expected to continue doing so later this ye
Opening Ceremony: Kenya takes her pride of place as 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games beginTeam Kenya Paralympics strolled majestically into the Tokyo Olympic Stadium led by captain Rodgers Kiprop and Powerlifter Hellen Wawira for the Openin
Gideon's visit rekindles memories of Moi
- You weren’t my father’s wife, man tells Washington Olweny’s widow
By Daniel Chege
- Officer shoots dead six people including girlfriend, kills self in Kangemi
By Jael Mboga
- Mwingi bus crash survivors recount ordeal as search continues
- 11 students arrested after private school dormitory burns
- William Ruto wheelbarrow back to Kisii
By Erick Abuga