Police are now investigating how such a mistake was made after the unnamed child's grandfather told how he had “stopped breathing”
He was transferred to the Second Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital of Shandong’s provincial capital of Jinan for treatment
Villagers dug up a newborn boy who was mistakenly buried after his family thought he had died.
Police are now investigating how such a mistake was made after the unnamed child's grandfather told how he had “stopped breathing”.
Nanbaita Village residents Jiao Xinglu and Zhou Shangdong were gathering mushrooms on the outskirts of the city of Laiwu, in East China’s Shandong Province, when they came across the buried newborn that morning.
Mr Jiao said: “Zhou Shangdong and I found him on 21st August while picking mushrooms in the mountains.
"We heard a noise like a dog barking.”
As more of their friends and family arrived, the group suspected there was a child underground and decided to dig for the baby when his crying grew faint and eventually stopped altogether.
Video taken on the day shows Mr Jiao frantically digging at the loose soil with his bare hands before later finding the cardboard box containing the boy.
Local doctor Zhou Shanghong opens the box and begins examining inside, the clip shows.
The authorities said he was found on a hillside on the border of Laiwu and the neighbouring city of Tai’an.
He was transferred to the Second Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital of Shandong’s provincial capital of Jinan for treatment.
Weighing just 3.4 lbs, the boy was found to be suffering from anaemia and jaundice, but he had no congenital conditions and has since recovered to full health.
Doctor Zhao Lei said of the now two-month-old boy now weighs a healthy 8.8 lbs.
On October 20, just three days after local police announced they were still trying to track down the child’s family, a man who identified himself as the boy’s grandfather showed up at Tai’an’s Yangliu Police Station.
The local resident named as Mr Liu shocked the police when he admitted he and his family had buried the boy - the younger of twin brothers - when the child had "died" a day after he was born.
He was stunned to see the boy had “come back to life” on the local news, and decided to tell the police.
Mr Liu said: “After he was born in hospital, he relied on a respiratory machine to breathe.
“He had a serious lung infection and couldn’t breathe on his own.
“He died on the second day. He couldn’t drink or eat. After he died, we buried him. I didn’t know he was alive. I was very surprised, shocked, too.
“I can’t stop thinking about him. I’m happy and sad at the same time.”
Do you have stories, videos or pictures you would like to share with the world?
Simply click on Post Your Story button placed at the top of the website