|Kimaiyo says this man Hussein Nur Mohamed is behind the Pangani blast. He is out on a bond over terror related incident but failed to go back to court. Kimaiyo says there is one arrest who has mentioned Mohamed. [PHOTO: POLICE]
By CYRUS OMBATI
NAIROBI, KENYA: Police have circulated the photograph of 21 year old Hussein Nur Mohamed over claims he was involved in the Pangani blast that claimed six lives.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo said Mohamed is wanted for questioning after he was mentioned in the probe into the Saturday evening incident in which more than 30 people were injured in a blast on a matatu.
He said Mohamed had been arrested and charged in court over terror related charges before being freed on bond.
“But he did not honour the bond and so far we have a warrant to arrest him over the earlier charges after skipping court hearings,” said Kimaiyo.
He also sought the help of the public to arrest the suspect. He did not give details of the charges Mohamed is facing and if he is a Kenyan or Somalia.
Kimaiyo said they were interrogating a man who was arrested at the scene moments after the explosion had happened but it was not yet clear if he was involved.
The man was still being detained as Kimaiyo said the blast was caused by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) that had been detonated by a mobile phone.
Head of Nairobi CID Nicholas Kamwende said preliminary findings show the blast was abandoned in the 32 seater matatu before it went off.
“Indications are that they used a mobile phone to set the device off causing the deaths, injuries and destruction. It had been abandoned in the vehicle,” said Kamwende.
Four people died on the spot following the blast that was heard several kilometres away affecting four other vehicles that were on trail of the matatu along Juja Road, Nairobi.
One died as he was taken to Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) while another victim succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment at the hospital.
KNH physician cardiologist Dr. Ruguru Nyagah said that two more victims, a man and woman, were still in theatre and one was still nursing wounds in the ward while three had already been treated and discharged.
Kimaiyo told matatu operators to always screen passengers as a way of deterring the crime.
Stay informed. Subscribe to our newsletter