Palace held by 10-man Arsenal as Aubameyang sees red
Crystal Palace were held to a 1-1 draw by 10-man Arsenal in the Premier League on Saturday as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang fired the visitors ahead and was sent off after Jordan Ayew scored a fortuitous equaliser for the home side.
Aubameyang struck in the 12th minute, steering a low shot past goalkeeper Vicente Guaita after he was put through by Alexandre Lacazette, with Arsenal dominating an uneventful first half at Selhurst Park.
Ayew levelled in the 54th minute with a heavily deflected shot which left keeper Bernd Leno stranded after it came off defender David Luiz, as the visitors failed to clear a tame-looking low cross from the right.
Aubameyang was shown a straight red card midway through the second half after a VAR check, following a rash tackle on Max Meyer which forced the Palace forward to limp off injured.
Palace, who gained the upper hand in the closing stages with their numerical advantage, missed their best chance to grab a winner when Sokratis Papastathopoulos cleared a James Tomkins header off the line in the 78th minute.
They were let of the hook three minutes later at the other end as Guaita tipped Nicolas Pepe’s fierce low shot on to the post and then smothered Lacazette’s close-range follow up.
- What awaits Sports PS Okudo following Uhuru Kenyatta’s Cabinet reshuffleSports 2 days ago
- Picking Tokyo team leaves Athletics Kenya bosses with sleepless nightsAthletics 2 days ago
- Bandari set sights on Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Cup defenceFootball 2 days ago
- Marita eyes league title after scoring on Tusker debutFootball 2 days ago
- Sportsman living with disability: Mutai, Mushai face-off in this year's Soya galaAthletics 2 days ago
- Why Kamworor will skip Africa cross country Athletics 2 days ago
- Billionaire who sold his Arsenal stake to Gunners’ owner secures naming rights to new Everton stadiumFootball 2 days ago