Rugby: Kabras Sugar maintain pure sweetness in Kenya Cup
The 2016 champions Kabras Sugar maintained top spot on the Kenya Cup standings after miantaining their unbeaten run with a 25-3 win against Impala Saracens in Kakamega at the weekend.
The bonus-point win, their third in a row, saw the sugar millers remain at the top of the 12-team table with 15 points and their superior point difference places them above defending champions KCB, who also stretched their winning streak with a 50-13 thrashing of Nakuru RFC. The heavy defeat at the KCB Sports Club left the two-time champions Nakuru RFC languishing at the bottom of the standings with a single point.
“KCB are a much better side and we scored two fantastic tries off phases. At least our set-pieces were good. We didn’t lose in the scrums and I believe the team is improving. The KCB match is done and dusted, now we focus on the next match,” Nakuru RFC coach Felix Oloo said.
Homeboyz, the other unbeaten side in the top-flight, leaped to third with a hard-earned 25-20 victory against Menengai Oilers, a result that handed Oilers their first loss of the campaign.
The Gibson Weru-coached Oilers will, however, draw inspiration from picking a losing bonus point having lost with less than seven points.
Newly promoted Western Bulls caused the only upset of match day three as they rallied from a 19-point deficit at halftime to upset Kenya Harlequin with a 21-19 result.
The Bulls’ win, which was inspired by Derrick Ashihundu’s hat-trick, catapulted the Kakamega-based side to eighth position with five points as Quins were left to rue their poor defending in the second half.
In other matches, Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad lost 38-23 to Nondescripts while returnees Kisumu RFC suffered a 65-22 loss at the hands of Mwamba RFC.
- Pochettino responds to Arsenal speculation ahead of return to LondonFootball 13 hours ago
- Diego Simeone heading for Atletico Madrid 'divorce'Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Bellerin lost for words after latest Arsenal defeatFootball 1 day ago
- Fiji miss out on Dubai Sevens last-eight for first timeRugby 20 hours ago
- Martial arts: Kenya bags 20 medals as Mombasa Open event kicks offSports 3 hours ago
- Tottenham 5 - 0 Burnley: Classy Kane, sensational Son power Spurs to rout of BurnleyFootball 6 hours ago
- Kenyans let go of Copa Africa Cup trophy after lossSports 2 days ago