Footballer gets red card for killing chicken on pitch during intense semi-final [Photos]
A Croatian animal rights group said yesterday it would file charges against a local footballer who kicked a chicken to death during a semi-professional match over the weekend.
The incident took place on Sunday when a brood of chickens ran onto a pitch in eastern Croatia.
One of the players, Ivan Gazdek from the home team NK Jelengrad, ran after the birds, kicked one with his foot and then chucked it over the fence in a flurry of feathers.
The 23-year-old was red-carded for unsporting behaviour.
The NGO Animal Friends also strongly condemned the “shameful act and cowardly behaviour of the player against an innocent animal who died with crushed bones and in pain”.
The group said it would file charges against the player for the “criminal act of animal killing or torture”.
If formally charged and found guilty, the player could face up to one year in prison.
Gazdek, who claims to be an animal lover that owns several pets, argued to local media that the killing “was not intentional”.
“I ran towards the chickens to chase them away, swung my foot and accidentally killed one,” he said.
“Chickens are constantly entering the pitch interrupting the match. The pitch is full of faeces, these are unhygienic conditions,” he added in comments to the local 24sata paper.
- Mario Balotelli's own fans release statement backing racist supporters Football 2 days ago
- Kenya 7s team beat Uganda in Africa Men’s Rugby final to qualify for 2020 Olympic Games in TokyoRugby 2 days ago
- Chelsea go second with a 2-0 win over Crystal PalaceFootball 2 days ago
- Boxer dies after a freak accident in trainingBoxing 2 days ago
- Tottenham 1 – 1 Sheffield Utd: Spluttering Spurs held at home by Sheffield UnitedFootball 2 days ago
- Looking at this latest EPL table, do you think Man Utd can displace Arsenal?Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal beaten by Leicester Football 2 days ago