Warning message from Solksjaer Man United players ignored before Newcastle loss
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer tried and failed to warn his players before Matty Longstaff's winning goal for Newcastle.
Solskjaer was seen giving instructions to Andreas Pereira on the touchline in the second half but struggled to get his message across to Scott McTominay and Fred as he urged them to sit deeper.
Youngster Longstaff made them pay on his first Premier League start as he delivered a crushing blow to United with his 71st minute winner.
Solskjaer's side were hit on the break to condemn them to another defeat - and the Norwegian revealed after the game he tried but found it "impossible" to get his message across as they played into Newcastle's hands.
"We weren’t set up for the counter-attack," said Solskjaer.
"We conceded at least two goals – Everton away Wolves away – from our own corners, maybe two against Everton in one game.
"And that shouldn’t happen and with the pace we’ve got, we should lock that corner down.
"But it’s impossible to get the message across, because we gave the Newcastle fans something to cheer today, we gave them a game that they wanted, end-to-end at times.
"We gave them too many counter-attacks, lifted their crowd, you could see they were behind their team, behind [Steve] Brucey and it was impossible for me to put one or two players where they should have been.
"There are players that try to organise it but couldn’t and when that happens, six or seven back in our own box, but we couldn’t defend that ball.
"There were two attempts to tackle, from Dan [James] and Fred. We’re trying but lacking in that composure and that organiser there."
- Athletics: Athletes set for Baringo 10km raceAthletics 2 days ago
- Road race: Stars gear up for Kass marathon on SundayAthletics 2 days ago
- Athletics: Choge eyes Valencia Marathon redemptionAthletics 2 days ago
- Volleyball: Prisons leaving nothing to chance in their quest to retain national women’s titleVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Rugby: Provisional committee to help Nakuru RFC in Kenya CupRugby 2 days ago
- Shooting: Kenyan marksmen depart for Africa Olympics qualifiersSports 2 days ago
- Ronaldo hat-trick fires Portugal to brink of Euro 2020 qualificationFootball 2 days ago