Mean Machine, Strathmore reach final
University of Nairobi’s Mean Machine enhanced their chances of retaining the Impala Floodlit title in the universities’ category following a 17-12 win over the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) in a closely contested semi-final at the Impala Club yesterday.
With the win, Machine, who are preparing for life in the Kenya Rugby Union Championship after suffering Kenya Cup relegation in the 2018-19 season, will face Strathmore Leos in the final next Saturday.
Strathmore thrashed USIU 40-27 in the other semi-final.
Against CUEA, the University of Nairobi outfit scored through three tries and a solitary conversion while their opponents managed four penalties, three of them coming in the first half courtesy of Victor Omondi.
In the schools category, Ofafa Jericho eliminated Lenana School with a 18-6 win. Ofafa will battle for honours with last year’s winners Muhuri Muchiri Secondary who saw off Sunshine Secondary 8-0 in their last four tie.
Meanwhile, Nondescripts came from behind to edge Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad in the Plate semi-final which brought together two sides who lost in the Main Cup quarter-finals.
“Credit to the boys for stepping up. Going down in a game is always difficult but they worked hard and stuck to the systems,” Nondies coach Francis Ndonga said.
It was a good response from Nondies, who suffered a 23-14 setback against Homeboyz last weekend.
“It was all about our composure and knowing what to do in those critical areas. We realised that we are good with ball in hand and that’s just what we did,” Ndonga said.
Meanwhile, England barged past 14-man Argentina and into the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals yesterday, adds AFP.
Eddie Jones’s England became the first team into the last eight with a bonus-point, 39-10 victory over Argentina, aided by Tomas Lavanini’s 17th-minute red card.
- MLS 'exploring scenarios' for possible return to actionFootball 2 days ago
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffers potential career-ending injury – reportsGossip & Rumours 16 hours ago
- Bundesliga stat suggests home advantage has disappeared behind closed doors Football 13 hours ago
- Van Persie recalls being slapped by ex-Man United boss Van GaalFootball 1 day ago
- Get ready for virtual 2020 Lewa marathonAthletics 1 day ago
- Eid al-Fitr! Sports stars across the world celebrate end of RamadanFootball 1 day ago
- Arsenal 'arrange talks' for Coutinho transfer on Arteta's requestGossip & Rumours 1 day ago