Photos: Former football star shot, killed by two men on motorbike in Amsterdam
Former Burton Albion footballer Kelvin Maynard has been shot dead by two men riding a motorbike in Amsterdam.
Police confirmed the 32-year-old was fatally attacked while driving his car in the Langbroekdreef region of the Dutch capital.
A statement said: "We can confirm that the fatal victim of the shooting incident on Langbroekdreef last night was 32-year-old Kelvin Maynard.
“The investigation into his death is in full swing.”
Maynard was attempting to escape the gunmen by driving towards a nearby fire station, according to De Telegraaf.
But he crashed into the building and was unable to be resuscitated by medics.
Maynard was brought to England by fellow Dutchman Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in 2014.
He spent two years with Burton, and helped the Brewers to the League Two title in his first season.
But he suffered a knee injury in pre-season that ruled him out of the following campaign, in which the club would seal a second successive promotion.
In all, he played nine times in the league for Burton, scoring once.
The club said in a statement: "Everyone at Burton Albion Football Club is saddened to learn of the tragic death of our former player Kelvin Maynard at the age of 32.
"Our sympathies go out to all his family and friends at this difficult time."
The defender also played for FC Volendam, Olhanense, Kecskemet, FC Emmen, Royal Antwerp, SV Spakenburg and Quick Boys.
- Bayern's Kimmich enjoys 'most beautiful goal' as title beckonsFootball 1 day ago
- Pogba told he isn't needed at Real Madrid because he's 'not humble'Football 2 days ago
- Flexibility does the trick for gifted MuliSports 2 days ago
- Huge blow for Liverpool fans as club drops pursuit of ‘Europe’s best striker’Football 2 hours ago
- FIFA temporarily suspends the president of the federation accused of rapeFootball 2 days ago
- New Man United away kit for 2020/21 season leaked [PHOTOS]Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Company develops app allowing fans to cheer remotely for teams playing in empty stadiumsFootball 1 day ago