Arsenal’s defender questions Unai Emery tactics ahead of Europa league clash
Arsenal defender Ainsley Maitland-Niles has questioned Unai Emery's tactics following the Gunners' 2-2 draw against Watford.
With Emery's side opening their Europa League campaign away to Eintracht Frankfurt tonight, full-back Maitland-Niles has revealed what was said in the dressing room after Arsenal let a two-goal lead slip against the Hornets on Sunday.
The Gunners had taken the lead through two goals from hotshot Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
But Tom Cleverley reduced the deficit before Roberto Pereyra rolled in a late penalty to earn a point for Watford.
Watford's first goal attracted particular criticism, as goalkeeper Bernd Leno and Sokratis tried to play a goal kick out from the back, but the ball was intercepted inside the area and Cleverley fired home to begin the fightback.
And full-back Ainsley Maitland-Niles admitted that his team should not have been so "persistent" in playing out from the back.
Talking about Emery's tactics on Sky Sports, Maitland-Niles said: "Words can't describe how I feel about it.
I think we tried to play the way we played, we should have changed it instead of being so persistent and trying to play out from the back."
And Maitland-Niles also revealed that the whole squad had discussed what happened after the match.
He added in quotes reported by Football London: "We've spoken to each other as a team and the manager has also spoken to us.
"We know we've done wrong, we can all hold our hands up and blame each other if we wanted to, but we're a team and we take the responsibility as a team and be even better."
Meanwhile, Arsenal have been dealt a major injury blow, as the club have confirmed that the striker will be out of action until at least October with an ankle injury.
A statement via the club's official website read: "After assessments to an ongoing ankle issue, we have advised that Alex will need to rest and strengthen his ankle to regain full fitness.
"Alex has been playing through this injury for several weeks. He is likely to be back in action in October."
- Ronaldo names Messi as favourite player to watchFootball 1 day ago
- FKF polls: Football players want a quick resolution to poll crisis and credible exerciseFootball 4 hours ago
- Liverpool’s training return a massive lift for KloppFootball 1 day ago
- MLS players send new restart proposal to leagueFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea stars take the knee as Premier League stars lead way on Blackout TuesdayFootball 10 hours ago
- Athletics: Stars dust spikes in readiness for epic race on June 11Athletics 4 hours ago
- Fans could return for 20-21 season, says Premier League chiefFootball 2 days ago