Blow to Barcelona as superstar Alba sidelined with hamstring injury
Barcelona defender Jordi Alba injured his hamstring in the 0-0 draw at Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, his team said in a statement on Wednesday, with Spanish media reporting that the Spain international will be out for around two weeks.
The left back was forced off in the 40th minute of Tuesday's Group F game and replaced by Sergi Roberto.
Barca's statement did not say how long Alba would be out, but newspaper AS said he would be sidelined for two weeks, ruling him out of Barca's La Liga games at Granada, at home to Villarreal and away to Getafe.
He is expected to return in time for Barca's next Champions League game at home to Inter Milan on Oct. 2.
Alba's injury hands an opportunity to Junior Firpo, the left back who joined Barca from Real Betis for 18 million euros ($19.88 million) in the close season but who has only played nine minutes of first team football so far.
Barca are fifth in the La Liga standings on seven points after four games.
- Arsenal to hold talks with Carlo AncelottiPremier League 2 days ago
- Australian Barty named WTA Player of the YearTennis 2 days ago
- Tusker make light work of Wazito to go take league leadSports 2 days ago
- Zico dedicates Harambee Stars win to suspended KimanziFootball 2 days ago
- Malkia Strikers promise to deliver Olympics slotVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Gritty Thunder strike Ulinzi WarriorsBasketball 2 days ago
- Man United and Liverpool in transfer battle to sign Bayer Leverkusen talentPremier League 2 days ago