Blow to Barcelona as superstar Alba sidelined with hamstring injury
Barcelona defender Jordi Alba injured his hamstring in the 0-0 draw at Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, his team said in a statement on Wednesday, with Spanish media reporting that the Spain international will be out for around two weeks.
The left back was forced off in the 40th minute of Tuesday's Group F game and replaced by Sergi Roberto.
Barca's statement did not say how long Alba would be out, but newspaper AS said he would be sidelined for two weeks, ruling him out of Barca's La Liga games at Granada, at home to Villarreal and away to Getafe.
He is expected to return in time for Barca's next Champions League game at home to Inter Milan on Oct. 2.
Alba's injury hands an opportunity to Junior Firpo, the left back who joined Barca from Real Betis for 18 million euros ($19.88 million) in the close season but who has only played nine minutes of first team football so far.
Barca are fifth in the La Liga standings on seven points after four games.
- INEOS 1:59 - Kenyans flood social media to support Eliud Kipchoge on D-DayAthletics 2 days ago
- Massive crowds in Eldoret to witness Kipchoge’s INEOS challenge [Photos] Athletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge does it!Athletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge runs unofficial marathon in under two hoursAthletics 2 days ago
- How Eliud Kipchoge ended the INEOS 1:59 Challenge in style [Photos]Athletics 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge congratulatory messages flood in Athletics 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge’s family and friends react to his historic achievement in ViennaAthletics 2 days ago