Gor Mahia take continental battle to USM Algiers turf
Gor Mahia have an opportunity to revenge against Algerian side USM Algiers in the first round of CAF Champions League in Algiers tonight.
The Algerian side denied Gor Mahia an opportunity to make it to the semi-finals of last year’s Confederations Cup after winning the return leg 2-1 and holding the Kenyan champions to a barren draw in Nairobi.
Gor Mahia coach Steven Polack has urged his players to be focused and pick a positive result away despite the confusion that surrounded the team’s departure to Algeria.
“It is great that we are finally going to travel to Algeria. What happened was beyond the playing unit and technical bench. We cannot focus on it but make sure that we pick a positive result away as we wait for the return match,” he said.
Polack also said he is confident his side will have enough time to rest before heading to the pitch tonight.
“I am confident since we arrived yesterday, we have enough time to prepare and rest.
“It could have been difficult for us arriving on match day because you don’t get time to rest but now at least we will shake off the jet lag.”
He said his team will be cautious against their opponents despite reports that Algerian team face financial difficulties.
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 2 days ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 1 day ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 1 day ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 1 day ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 1 day ago
- Wanyama speaks about transfer Football 1 day ago
- Mental strength key to Japan's preparation for South Africa clashRugby 1 day ago