Kenyan girls chase elusive handball trophy
National girls’ handball champions St Joseph’s Kirandich and former East Africa winners Moi Girls Kamusinga eying this year’s regional trophy.
The duo will clash with six other teams from Uganda, Rwanda and hosts Tanzania for top honours in the 2019 Federation of East Africa Secondary Schools Sports Association that begin on Friday in Arusha, Tanzania.
Kamusinga coach Godfrey Simiyu said he had rectified the weaknesses in the team and is ready to reclaim the title they won in 2016.
“Our defence at the nationals was shaky and our attacking was not also spot-on but we have worked on it and we now have a solid backline and have also improved in attack. We want to recapture the East Africa title and my girls are ready to execute our game plan,” Simiyu said.
Kamusinga, who finished second at last year’s games in Musanze, Rwanda, launch their campaign in Group A that also has defending champions Kibuli Secondary School from Uganda.
Kibuli edged Kamusinga 20-19 to win last year’s trophy and Simiyu has vowed not to fall to the Ugandans for a second successive time.
“I will not let them beat us again because last year they won by one goal. We fought a good fight but luck was not on our side, this time, we are determined not to let them have it,” said Simiyu.
They will also take on Tanzania’s Kizuka and ES Kiziguro from Rwanda for a place in the semi-finals.
Kamusinga has lost to Kibuli in the last two finals and will be looking to finally avenge their 2017 and 2018 losses.
Kenyan champions St Joseph’s Kirandich will be praying for a perfect start in Group B that also has 2016 finalists Mbogo, Kawanda Secondary Schools from Uganda and home girls Kilole.
Kirandich, who beat Kamusinga 17-13 to snatch the national title in Term One games, will be hoping that the god’s of handball will be on their side once again for them to lift the regional gong.
Kamusinga take on ES Kiziguro while St Joseph’s take on Kilole in their opening matches.
- Nike’s Breaking 2 versus the Ineos 1:59 ChallengeAthletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge whets North Rift's super Saturday Athletics 2 days ago
- Chess: Equity Bank seek redemption in league actionSports 2 days ago
- Rugby: Oilers in tough Floodlit final against KCB today Rugby 2 days ago
- Lionesses in Tunisia for 2020 Olympic qualifiers Rugby 2 days ago
- International friendly: Stars duo Olunga and Were ready to fish out MambasFootball 2 days ago
- Hockey: Greensharks plot to attack Wazalendo ladsHockey 2 days ago