Arsenal chiefs set to meet Barcelona officials to thrash out Philippe Coutinho loan deal
Arsenal chiefs are set to meet with Barcelona officials to thrash out a loan deal for ex-Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho, according to reports.
The Gunners take on Barcelona in the Joan Gamper Trophy at the Nou Camp on Sunday, and discussions will take place around the game.
Coutinho joined Barcelona for £142million back in 2018 but has fallen down the pecking order in Spain and is facing an uncertain future.
Barcelona are open to the idea of letting the Brazilian go on loan for the season, and Arsenal have emerged as a surprise contender for his temporary signature, according to Spanish publication Sport.
The Gunners' head of football Raul Sanllehi is set to lead the talks to land Coutinho.
The move for the former Liverpool star comes just day after Arsenal secured the £72million signing of Nicolas Pepe from Lille.
Unai Emery's side were in hot pursuit of the Ivorian for much of the summer and finally got the deal over the line this week.
Pepe said: "Being here is very emotional. I have come a long way and struggled a lot and so signing for this great club is a big reward.
"It was important to make the right decision and I am convinced that Arsenal is the right choice."
Emery added: "Nicolas is a highly rated and talented winger who was wanted by many of the top teams in Europe.
"Signing a top-class winger has been one of our key objectives in this transfer window and I'm delighted he's joining.
"He will add pace, power and creativity, with the aim of bringing more goals to our team."
- EXCLUSIVE: Rugby legend reveals he’s living with HIVRugby 4 hours ago
- Kenya on brink of Davis Cup promotion Tennis 2 days ago
- Faith, Cheruiyot light up Nyayo as team namedAthletics 2 days ago
- Arsenal fans, will you accept this defender's heartfelt apology? Football 1 hour ago
- Arsenal's Lacazette ruled out until OctoberFootball 2 days ago
- Ngeno shocks top guns in Doha trialsAthletics 2 days ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo breaks down in tears during TV interview after seeing late dad Football 3 hours ago