Tottenham Hotspur give injury update on Victor Wanyama
Harambee Stars Captain Victor Wanyama did not travel with the rest of the Spurs squad for their Audi Cup match against Real Madrid after he picked up yet another knee complaint.
Harry Kane scored the only goal as Tottenham overcame Real Madrid 1-0 in the Audi Cup semi-final at the Allianz Arena in Munich.
According to Spurs' official website, the 28 year-old reported irritation in his knee after training on Monday and remained in Enfield (in London) to be assessed.
“Injury updates: Eric Dier, Cameron Carter-Vickers and Ben Davies are continuing their rehabilitation, while Victor Wanyama reported irritation in his knee after training today and has remained in Enfield to be assessed,” read part of the clubs statement.
Over the past two years, Wanyama has missed a great deal of football for Tottenham, with injury disturbing him.
Spurs have brought in Tanguy Ndombele, which has moved him even further down the pecking order.
His place in Spurs’ midfield looks in doubt again, now that the club have Ndombele, Harry Winks, Moussa Sissoko and Eric Dier who all look more likely to start ahead of him.
With the transfer deadline fast approaching, Wanyama has been a prime target of West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini who believes he would bolster their midfield.
Wanyama has also been linked with a shock move to Turkish giants Fenerbahce as he is expected to opt for more playing time.
When in his best form, Wanyama is one of the hottest holding midfielders in the Premier League and Spurs’ lack of response to these rumours means they are willing to listen to suitable offers.
With two years left on his current deal and the club’s fear of another injury-hit spell next season, they could be looking out for a fee that is bigger than what they paid Southampton for him three years ago.
Wanyama, who featured in all three of Kenya’s African Cup of Nations fixtures, joined Tottenham from Southampton in the summer of 2016, and has gone on to make 93 appearances in all competitions for the north London club.
- FA Cup: Manchester United beat Tranmere 6-0Football 2 days ago
- Tusker Safari Tour golf: Greg Snow digs in for a fight heading into third round at Sigona todayGolf 23 hours ago
- Arsenal’s injury crisis worsens at Bournemouth Football 14 hours ago
- Another NBA star passes away 'unexpectedly'Basketball 11 hours ago
- Shujaa miss semi-final berth in Hamilton 7s contestRugby 2 days ago
- Reports: Spanish defender in London for Arsenal medicalFootball 2 days ago
- KPL: Kakamega Homeboyz leapfrog Tusker, Wazito’s woes continueFootball 23 hours ago