Arsenal star hits out at social media critics after Europa League failure
Arsenal star Granit Xhaka has hit out at social media critics after their Europa League final humiliation at the hands of Chelsea.
The Gunners were thrashed 4-1 in Baku as they missed out on their chance to lift major silverware and secure Champions League football.
After a tense first half, Unai Emery's side collapsed after the break and were well beaten on a night to forget in Azerbaijan.
It led to plenty of criticism of their performance on social media - but Xhaka declared after the game that people "speak too much" as he insisted everyone was hurting after the defeat.
Speaking to TalkSPORT in the mixed zone after the game, Xhaka said: "I don't care what the people speak about us on social media, about the players.
"We know which qualities we have, we know how it is, and this is important for us, not about social media and what they write and what they speak.
"A lot of people, they speak too much.
"It's not only about the fans, it's about us as well.
"We are of course disappointed. If you lose a final you cannot be happy.
"All the Arsenal fans, the players, the club, everyone."
Swiss midfielder Xhaka, who clipped the bar with a fierce long-range drive in the first half, admitted they had missed a golden second chance to return to Europe's elite club competiton.
"It was a big chance for us," he admitted.
"We didn't come in the top four in the Premier League. We had a second chance today. If you don't take the chance, you're in the Europa League.
"I think we played very well the first half. We had a good chance in the first half.
"They scored early in the second half, then after we opened the game too fast I think.
"With 45 minutes you have a chance to come back but after one then two nil it's game over."
- Daughter of Game Yetu sports journalist tops the 2019 KCPESports 2 days ago
- AFCON 2021 qualifiers: Harambee Stars held to a draw by the Sparrow Hawks of Togo Football 2 days ago
- Narok: Stadium to be named after NtimamaSports 2 days ago
- Boxing: Boxers take their fight to Kisumu for final legBoxing 2 days ago
- FKF Mombasa sub-branch petition Fifa over ‘flawed election guidelines’Football 2 days ago
- Champs GSU ready for KVF national play-offsVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Athletes brace for busy season ahead as AK release next season’s calendarAthletics 2 days ago