Rory McIlroy named richest young British sports star after earning £28m in year
Golf superstar Rory McIlroy’s wedge has shot him to the top of Britain’s young sporting rich list.
The four-time major winner, 30, has a £138million fortune from his heroics on the green and huge sponsorship deals.
His haul made footballers Gareth Bale, 29, and Sergio Aguero, 30, league runners-up on £94million and £58million respectively.
And it knocked boxer Anthony Joshua, 29 and worth £49million, into fourth place.
Rory, from Northern Ireland, added £28million to his bank account over the past year, despite some mediocre form.
Earlier this year, he said he would snub the European Tour in favour of the PGA circuit in the US, which has more prize cash and world ranking points.
He said: “The European Tour is a stepping stone. That is the truth.”
Welsh Real Madrid star Bale and Man City’s Aguero were among 15 footballers the Sunday Times Rich List’s top-earning sport figures aged 30 or under in the UK.
Arsenal ace Mesut Ozil’s £350,000-a-week wages put him fifth with £42million.
Man City player Raheem Sterling, 24 and worth £18million, was a new entry along with Tottenham’s Harry Kane, 25, and Man United’s Romelu Lukaku, 25, both worth £16million.
Sports stars also accounted for 17 of the 50 places on the Young Rich List, where everyone had a minimum £16million.
- Faith, Cheruiyot light up Nyayo as team namedAthletics 2 days ago
- Arsenal fans, will you accept this defender's heartfelt apology? Football 8 hours ago
- CS Amina flags off Kenya’s shooting team ahead of IDPA tourneySports 2 hours ago
- Ngeno shocks top guns in Doha trialsAthletics 2 days ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo breaks down in tears during TV interview after seeing late dad Football 9 hours ago
- Sharks prey on Leopards at Kasarani as Tusker host Mathare UnitedFootball 2 days ago
- World reacts to Kamworor’s new Half Marathon recordAthletics 8 hours ago