Liverpool fans accuse Lionel Messi of moving ball forward before free-kick
Lionel Messi was the star of the show in Barcelona's 3-0 win over Liverpool in the Champions League on Wednesday.
The Argentine netted twice for the Catalan giants to all-but book Barcelona's place in the final of this season's competition ahead of the second leg of the semi-final at Anfield.
Messi's performance and particularly his second goal - a sensational free-kick that beat Alisson all ends up - stole the plaudits.
But some Reds fans noticed the Argentine moving the ball some five yards closer to the goal from where the initial foul took place before firing in his set piece.
And well, they're not too happy about it.
Reacting on Twitter, one fan wrote: "It was a great freekick but it wasn't even 40 yards like some others and he moved the ball forwards beforehand."
Another added: "Anyone else just realizes that Messi moved the ball forward for his free-kick goal?"
And a third concluded: "He moved the ball five yards forward and a yard or two to the left before he took the kick - cheat."
Jurgen Klopp was full of praise for Messi after the match, dubbing the Argentina international "world-class".
"In these moments [Messi] is unstoppable," said Klopp. "We couldn't defend the free kick. What a strike.
"The second goal was probably not the nicest in the career of Lionel Messi but it shows his skills that he is even there in that moment.
"Apart from that, I was happy in how we defended the whole Barcelona team.
"I am a big admirer of them, as is everybody, but my boys didn't show too much respect, they were there every time.
"We played football and I liked that. I knew before that Lionel was a world?class player and now I saw it again I am not too surprised."
- USM Algier humble Gor Mahia in CAF Champions League matchFootball 2 days ago
- Serbia hand Kenya’s Malkia Strikers third W. Cup lossVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Africa deaf athletes’ championships startAthletics 2 days ago
- FKF Elections: Nyamweya, ex-Vihiga Governor Akaranga join frayFootball 11 hours ago
- Lionel Messi returns to full Barcelona trainingFootball 2 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Rugby legend reveals he’s living with HIVRugby 2 days ago
- From now on, here’s how to pronounce top footballers’ names – UEFAFootball 1 day ago