Olympic bronze medalist Margaret Nyairera to lead track and field stars to Nyeri Meet
Ruringu Stadium in Nyeri will host an array of top athletes for the two-day Athletics Kenya Track and Field Friday through to Saturday.
AK treasurer David Miano, who is also the chairman of the Central Region said a huge turnout of elite, upcoming and young athletes from all regions will descend on Nyeri town.
Olympics 800m bronze medalist Margaret Nyairera will be one of the star attractions as athletes gear up for the IAAF Diamond League preparations and forthcoming All Africa Games and World Championships.
“Arrangements are in top gear for the first leg of Athletics Kenya weekend track and field meeting to be held at Ruringu. Stadium” said Miano.
“Athletes are in high morale especially after what we witnessed during the relay series where Kenya won men’s sprint medley relay ahead of USA and Jamaica over ten weekends in the USA”
Miano also disclosed: “Nyeri County government led by Governor Mutahi Kahiga has come on board to sponsor the meet, and the running track at Ruringu stadium is being graded and will be in good condition during the competition.”
Earlier in the year, AK made changes in the 2018/19 season calendar to align with the 12th All Africa Games, which was moved earlier to August 23-September 3, from the scheduled October 14-21 in Casablanca, Morocco, thus leading to adjustments in the AK programme.
As a result, AK will compel top athletes to honour weekend meetings if they intend to be considered for trials of the major international championships.
The second leg of AK Track and Field meet will be held at Bukhungu Stadium, Kakamega on May 23-25.
Meanwhile, Mike Mokamba, Alfas Kishoyian, Collins Omae, and Collin Kipruto finished in 3:16.21 to win gold for Kenya in men’s medley relays at 125th edition of Penn Relay over the two traditional sprint powerhouses, USA and Jam.
- Leipzig move into third spot with 4-2 win at CologneFootball 1 day ago
- Motorsport: WIM Kenya to support young racersSports 2 days ago
- Kahata explains the difficulties he faced while trying to return to Tanzania for the league resumptionFootball 2 days ago
- Premier League clubs can play friendlies before season restart - reportsFootball 1 day ago
- What’s next for Premier League Project Restart?Premier League -1 years ago
- Top Man United target leaves fans guessing about next club with cyptic tweetFootball 2 days ago
- Five Barcelona players 'tested positive for COVID-19' - but club kept results hiddenGossip & Rumours 1 day ago