Ex-Harambee Stars defender handed 10-year ban by FIFA for match-fixing
Former Harambee Stars defender George Owino Audi has been banned from engaging in football-related activity in both national and international levels by the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) for ten years.
George Owino Audi was found guilty of being involved in match manipulation, violating the FIFA Disciplinary Code of unlawfully influencing match results.
The FIFA Disciplinary Committee handed the Owino the ban on Wednesday, April 24 in a statement on the FIFA website.
Moreover, Owino was also further dented with a CHF 15,000 (Kshs. 1.5 million) fine.
“Moreover, the Kenyan player Mr George Owino Audi has been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at both national and international level (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of ten (10) years. In addition, a fine in the amount of CHF 15,000 has been imposed upon him,” read part of FIFA’s statement.
In an earlier report in September 2018, FIFA said the ex-Harambee Stars defender instigated match manipulation with a high-profile international match-fixer Mr Wilson Raj Perumal between 2009 and 2011.
“The formal disciplinary proceedings into the aforementioned individuals stemmed from an extensive investigation into various international matches that Mr Wilson Raj Perumal attempted to manipulate for betting purposes. This large-scale investigation was conducted by FIFA over several years through its Integrity Department and in cooperation with the relevant stakeholders and authorities.” FIFA added in their statement.
The 38-year-old defender currently plays for Sofapaka FC in the SportPesa Premier League.
Alongside Owino, FIFA also banned eight players from participating in football for life as they were also found guilty of match manipulation. The players include:
Mr Karlon Murray, Trinidad and Tobago
Mr Keyeno Thomas, Trinidad and Tobago
Mr Hellings Mwakasungula, Malawi
Mr Ibrahim Kargbo, Sierra Leone
Mr Kudzanai Shaba, Zimbabwe
Mr Séïdath Tchomogo, Benin
Mr Leonel Duarte, Cuba
Mr Mohammad Salim Israfeel Kohistani, Afghanistan
- Drama in China marathon as race leader taken down wrong routeAthletics 1 week ago
- Champions League: Liverpool seek new 'heroes' with Salah absent against BarcelonaFootball 1 week ago
- Arsenal-mad dad puts up Sh340,000 for hypnotist to cure son of supporting TottenhamGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Solskjaer: Man City are better than Man UnitedFootball 3 weeks ago
- Photos: Roberto Firmino winning Champions League final battleFootball 2 days ago
- Football great Pele released from hospitalFootball 1 month ago
- Why Salah is the reason Man City will win Premier LeaguePremier League 1 month ago