USIU book semis slot after win over Pirates
United States International University-Africa (USIU) RFC dispatched South Coast Pirates 23-13 at Ukunda Grounds over the weekend to book a home semi-final playoff in the 2018-19 KRU Championship.
The students leapfrogged Western Bulls to finish second in the standings with 58 points, three more than Bulls.
Team captain Eliud Mulakoli said they are ready for the semis despite missing the chance of finishing ahead of Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) Monks, who now lead with 59 points.
“We were aiming for a top finish in our game in hand against Pirates but we didn’t get the bonus win," said Mulakoli.
"However, a home semi-final is okay for us and we look forward to defeat whoever who qualifies for the last four,” he added.
"It has been a tough campaign but we are ready and determined to go all the way and finish this in style."
The students grounded three tries through a Fred Okoth double and Joe Awori to seal the victory with captain Mulakoli ensuring the conversions were good.
South Coast Pirates finished 10th with 24 points, seven above relegated Kitale RFC.
Western Bulls will now host Mombasa RFC in the quarter finals playoffs while Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) RFC travel to the lakeside city to face Silverstone Kisumu.
The winner between Bulls and Mombasa will then face USIU in the semis as MMUST and Kisumu match winner play leaders Monks in another semis next month.
- Shock as Kenya listed among countries with highest ILLEGAL Premier League viewersPremier League 1 week ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 2 weeks ago
- Mane says he will step down as Senegal penalty-taker for nowFootball 2 weeks ago
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 1 week ago
- WWE superstar rushed to hospital with 'separated pelvis' after fightSports 2 weeks ago
- Arsenal highly unlikely to sign Wilfried Zaha as transfer saga turns uglyFootball 2 weeks ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 2 weeks ago