Shujaa one spot up in World Series despite dismal show in Hong Kong Sevens
Kenya men’s national rugby 7s team Shujaa rose up one spot to 13th place, two spots above the relegation zone, in the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series standings despite a dismal display at the Hong Kong Sevens last weekend.
Shujaa had a poor start at Hong Kong after back to back losses in its pool matches.
Paul Murunga’s side kicked off the competition with a 22-5 thumping by winners Fiji after which they were hammered 36-0 in a trademark fashion by New Zealand.
Shujaa played their last pool tie against Australia who outmuscled them 28-12 at the Hong Kong Stadium. This meant that Paul Murunga’s men, who have not reached the quarterfinals of the main Cup this season, dropped from the main Cup at Hong Kong to plunge into the Challenge Trophy.
Kenya then grabbed their first win in the competition by nailing Canada 19-0 in the Challenge Trophy quarterfinals.
However, Shujaa’s progress in the Challenge Trophy was halted by Japan in the semi-finals - humbling them 21-12 despite losing 26-24 to Scotland in the Challenge Trophy Final.
Kenya bagged five points with a total of 23 points.
Elsewhere, Japan collected seven to move one place above the relegation zone with 20 points, three points below Kenya.
Former World Sevens champions Wales had a tough tournament as they plunged into the relegation zone after losing 38-7 to Japan in the Challenge Trophy quarterfinals.
Despite Fiji claiming a historic title in Hong Kong after downing France 21-7 to bag 22 points, USA retained their top spot in World Series standings with 130 points after beating Samoa 22-10 in the playoffs.
The World Rugby Sevens Series resume next weekend in Singapore as Kenya seeks to revive its glory and evade relegation.
Football 11 minutes ago
Football 52 minutes ago
Football 1 hour ago
Football 1 month ago
Football 2 weeks ago
Football 1 month ago
MORE POPULAR HEADLINES
- Aaron Ramsey’s tearful farewell to ArsenalFootball 1 month ago
- Huge crowds electrify Eldoret City 42km raceAthletics 1 month ago
- Arsenal superstar to return to Chelsea Football 4 weeks ago
- Five Africa Cup of Nations facts you need to knowFootball 2 months ago
- Harambee stars vice-captain Musa Mohammed ‘forcefully’ thrown in pool on his birthday [Video]Football 1 week ago
- Muhammad Ali's autographed gold glove fails to sell at Turin auctionBoxing 5 days ago
- State broadcaster secures free to air AFCON rightsSports 6 days ago