Tough battles await as Sportpesa Premier League title chase intensifies
Mathare United coach Francis Kimanzi insists his team’s recent dip in form cannot hinder their bid to stage good showing in the SportPesa Premier League title chase.
The slum boys invite KCB to Machakos Stadium today hoping to make it two wins in a row after a 3-1 win over Posta Rangers last week.
“It is no doubt that we started well and what we experienced afterwards was a normal trend. Fatigue catches up any team and that is why teams prefer to beef up their squad in order to finish the second leg,” he said.
Mathare United enjoyed good form in the first five weeks and were always at the top of the log but a recent slump in form saw them go winless in several matches.
Kimanzi believes their latest win against Rangers remains a big motivation for them ahead of today’s fixture.
“We are focusing on our game and what we have been building over the last few weeks. We are obviously motivated by our last game and hope it can push us to another win.”
KCB coach Frank Ouna said his side are underdogs ahead of the fixture but insists they will utilize their chances and get something. The bankers have had a complete turn around after a bad start that saw them flirt with relegation for some weeks.
“Our opponents are in better form and have been in the league longer than us and so we consider ourselves as underdogs but we have a good chance of getting something from it.
Ouna praised his defender Bethwel Warambo, who has scored some crucial goals for his side. “Warambo has been good especially from the set-pieces where he has scored some crucial goals for us. It is not by chance that this has happened as we have trained on it for the last three months and now it is producing results.
Tusker face Western Stima at Machakos Stadium this afternoon.
- Blow to Harambee Stars as defender injured ahead of AFCONFootball 6 days ago
- Maurizio Sarri’s fresh challenge to Chelsea starsFootball 1 month ago
- NBA: Injured LeBron to sit out rest of seasonBasketball 2 months ago
- Devils turned snakes: Fans not happy with Manchester United’s new away kit design [photos]Football 1 month ago
- 10 Premier League players that could be sold this summerFootball 1 month ago
- Aubameyang receives staggering '£300,000-a-week offer' to quit ArsenalFootball 1 week ago
- The six names on Anthony Joshua's shortlist to replace drug cheat, Jarrell MillerBoxing 1 month ago