Catholic Monks reclaim top spot as Western Bulls lose in Kisii
Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) Monks RFC went top of the 2018-19 KRU Championship table after edging out Mombasa RFC 16-15 in a tight match at Mombasa sportsground over the weekend.
Teddy Owino’s try and Newton Wasike’s three penalties and one conversion in the first half was enough to earn Edward Opio his first win in Mombasa and leapfrog Western Bulls at the top with 48 points.
Western Bulls had gone down 11-8 to a resurgent Kisii RFC side after Brian Murefu crossed the whitewash once and Aggrey Kitoi’s two penalties added the damage to the visitors, who replied through Suleiman Abubakar’s try and Henry Odhiambo’s penalty.
In Kakamega, Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) RFC added more misery to Kisumu RFC after thrashing them 41-20.
Captain Samwel Mbeche and Clause Shireivo both completed two tries as Tyson Juma and John Bahati added five penalties between them to bounce back to winning ways after they lost to Bulls.
MMUST are now fifth on the league standings with 29 points, four points below Kisumu and head coach Ahaya Ochieng is confident they can make the playoffs.
“We played very well and congrats to the boys who have now pushed our dream of making it to the Kenya Cup alive. We now have to focus on making it to the playoffs,” Ochieng said.
United States International University-Africa (USIU) RFC handed a walk over to South Coast Pirates as Egerton Wasps thrashed Ngong RFC 31-5.
- Why Kenya’s Crouch fears Algerian star BounedjahSports 2 days ago
- Sports Golf-Standard County Golf Classic lands at Limuru Course this morning Golf 2 days ago
- Rosenberger clinches Classic Rally crownSports 2 days ago
- Tusker pile more woes on Sharks as Bandari hit Wazito at MbarakiFootball 2 days ago
- Guardiola backs Arteta as future Man City bossPremier League 2 days ago
- Gaming:BetLion launch Virtual Football LeagueSports 2 days ago
- Masinde Muliro upbeat ahead of clash against StrathmoreRugby 2 days ago