Lady Maina wins Barclays Bankâ€™s women tourney
Muthaiga’s Florence Maina made the most of homeground advantage to emerge the overall winner of International Women’s Day golf challenge sponsored by Barclays Bank of Kenya part of the Absa Group family.
Lady Maina was in fine form to shrug off 50 other golfers at Muthaiga Golf Club on Tuesday during the tournament to celebrate this year’s International Women’s Day and as part of activities leading up to the Magical Kenya Open Golf Tournament.
Yusra Butt was second overall winner. Others who performed admirably on the day included Muthaiga’s Njeri Mugo, Olive Njagi, Mary Angawa and L. Njoroge.
Speaking during the tournament, Barclays Kenya Marketing and Corporate Relations Director Caroline Ndungu reinforced the bank’s commitment to continue advocating for gender balance across all facets of society. “As a bank, we will use this year’s International Women’s Day to take stock of our achievements while identifying areas of improvement because for us, equality is not just the right thing to do, it is good business and part of our DNA”, Ms Ndungu said.
“We therefore hosted the tournament to celebrate our lady players and to showcase their unique talents and abilities.
The tournament aimed to celebrate the milestones achieved by women in golf. It is also part of a list of activities planned by Barclays ahead of the 2019 Magical Kenya Open including junior golfer’s clinics and sponsorship of the Safari Tour series organised by the Kenya Open Golf Limited (KOGL).
The event comes just days after Absa Group, Barclays Kenya’s parent company, announced an investment of Sh220 million in the Kenyan Open over the next two years.
The sponsorship is the biggest deal from a private sector corporate in the tournament’s 51-year history. This year’s Kenya Open golf tournament will be played from March 14 to 17th at the Karen Golf Club.
- SportPesa lose Everton betFootball 1 day ago
- He belongs to Man United – Solskjaer’s stern warning to Pogba’s agent RaiolaGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- How world football players’ union plan to support players who walk off over racismFootball 5 hours ago
- Gor, AFC Leopards squeeze through in Betway CupFootball 2 days ago
- Sadio Mane back stage as Liverpool prepare for Atletico MadridFootball 1 day ago
- Tokyo 2020 unveils Games mottoSports 2 days ago
- What is happening to SportPesa?Football 2 days ago