Court orders arrest of ex-Super Eagles star Jay-Jay Okocha
A Lagos State High Court has issued a warrant of arrest for former Super Eagles star Jay-Jay Okocha over tax evasion.
Okocha, who played for Eintracht Frankfurt, PSV and Bolton, is said to have repeatedly failed to appear before the court to answer why he had evaded paying his income taxes.
As seen by Game Yetu on Nigerian news outlets, Judge Adedayo Akintoye issued the warrant of arrest for the ex-Premier League star on January 29, before adjourning it to February 19.
However, by February 19, the prosecution still had not yet made the arrest effective consequently forcing the judge to adjourn till April 15, ordering that Okocha is arrested by then.
Okocha now faces a three-count charge set up by the Lagos State Ministry of Justice for failing to provide his income returns to the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service.
The 45 year old was part of the Nigeria team that won the Africa Cup of Nation (AFCON) in 1994.
He also represented his country in three FIFA World Cups- 1994, 1998 and 2002.
- Manchester United secure major signing ahead of new seasonFootball 1 month ago
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea fans react after Lampard’s appointment as managerFootball 1 month ago
- Messi fumes at Copa America Football 1 month ago
- AFCON: Ighalo seeks to burst South African bubbleFootball 1 month ago
- Moussa Dembele makes Man Utd transfer decision amid Liverpool and Arsenal interestFootball 2 months ago