Court orders arrest of ex-Super Eagles star Jay-Jay Okocha
A Lagos State High Court has issued a warrant of arrest for former Super Eagles star Jay-Jay Okocha over tax evasion.
Okocha, who played for Eintracht Frankfurt, PSV and Bolton, is said to have repeatedly failed to appear before the court to answer why he had evaded paying his income taxes.
As seen by Game Yetu on Nigerian news outlets, Judge Adedayo Akintoye issued the warrant of arrest for the ex-Premier League star on January 29, before adjourning it to February 19.
However, by February 19, the prosecution still had not yet made the arrest effective consequently forcing the judge to adjourn till April 15, ordering that Okocha is arrested by then.
Okocha now faces a three-count charge set up by the Lagos State Ministry of Justice for failing to provide his income returns to the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service.
The 45 year old was part of the Nigeria team that won the Africa Cup of Nation (AFCON) in 1994.
He also represented his country in three FIFA World Cups- 1994, 1998 and 2002.
- Kenyan man offered wife to friend if Man United lost to PSGFootball 1 month ago
- Watford produce one of the great FA Cup comebacks by beating WolvesFootball 2 weeks ago
- Athletics: Stars gear up for World Relays trialsAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Find out how African transfer business in football is chasing EuropeFootball 1 month ago
- West Ham 4-3 Huddersfield: Former Man United star Chicharito seals stunning London Stadium comebackFootball 1 month ago
- Boxing: Anthony Joshua slammed for remarks on RonaldoBoxing 1 month ago
- Marouane Fellaini announces retirementFootball 1 month ago