SportPesa Premier League: Wanga returns to haunt Tusker as Chemelil silences Nzoia

By Rodgers Eshitemi: Sunday, February 17th 2019 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Football
Bandari FC celebrate a goal during their KPL match with KCB at Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on Saturday Dec 22, 2018. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Mwana fishes out Sharks at Kasarani

Congolese import Yemi Mwana scored the winner as Bandari beat Kariobangi Sharks 1-0 at Kasarani Stadium yesterday to leapfrog over Mathare United to the top of the SportPesa Premier League.

Though it was a sweet revenge for Bernard Mwalala’s men after losing by the same margin to Sharks in last month’s SportPesa Super Cup in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, Bandari suffered an injury blow after substitute Wycliffe Ochomo sprained his arm barely five minutes after coming on.

The victory saw the dockers go three points (28) clear at the top of the table. But Mathare could go back to the summit if they beat Zoo in Kericho today.

“We played better than Sharks, got better chances, including a penalty and we deserved the win. It was a closely contested match. I can’t say it was revenge. It’s a good feeling to be at the top,” said Bandari assistant coach Nassor Mwakoba, who stood in for Mwalala who fell ill in the final minutes of the game.

Kariobangi Sharks coach William Muluya was gracious in defeat.

To get the latest soccer news, text 'SPORTS' to 22840.

“We didn’t play well. Sometimes I have to admit and take responsibility. I got it wrong in the first half. We had chances to kill off the game, but we didn’t work so maturely in the final third,” conceded Muluya.

It was an identical result both at Ruaraka and Sudi stadiums where the visitors emerged victorious.

At Ruaraka, in-form Allan Wanga returned to haunt his former side, scoring the lone goal of the match as Kakamega Homeboyz upset Tusker 1-0. Chemelil Sugar inflicted a third consecutive defeat on Nzoia Sugar.

It was a shocking result for the fifth-placed brewers (with 22 points), who were seeking to narrow down the gap on the league leaders.

Back at Kasarani, Bandari could have taken an early lead in the 11th minute, but William Wadri missed from the spot  after Mwana was brought down in the box.

Both teams created a couple of half chances in the first half, but neither side could break the deadlock as they went into the lockers with the match tied at 0-0.

Henry Juma thought he had given Sharks the lead two minutes into the second half, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Wadri then pounced on a loose ball in the midfield, dribbled into the box, but hard-tackling Sudanese defender John Kuol recovered quickly to stop him from breaking the deadlock.

Sydney Lokale had an opportunity to put his name on the score-sheet in the 65th minute but the lanky Sharks striker miscued his header from Vincent Wasambo’s delivery.