Barcelona star addresses reports he broke popstar's nose then told singer to kill him with gun
Arda Turan has denied reports he broke a popstar's nose in a fight over the singer's wife then told the celebrity to kill him with a gun he took to hospital.
The Barcelona midfielder, on loan at Istanbul Basaksehir in his native Turkey, issued a statement on his Instagram to set the record straight.
He was said to have got into a scrap with the popstar, Berkay, in a nightclub located in Istanbul's upmarket Emirgan neighbourhood.
Turkish newspaper Haberturk reported that the the pair clashed after Turan made provocative remarks to the singer's wife, Ozlem Ada Sahin.
He was alleged to have told her: "If I was not married, I wouldn't miss a girl like you."
It was claimed that Berkay sent his wife home, so he could speak to Turan "man to man".
The Turkey international, 31, was then said to have punched Berkay, breaking his nose. Berkay was taken to hospital for surgery, according to the report.
Turan allegedly followed Berkay to the hospital, presenting a gun and telling him: "I didn't know she is your wife. I'm sorry, just kill me".
But the attacking midfielder, who has been told he can leave Barcelona permanently, has rubbished the report, insisting Berkay's wife was not involved.
On his Instagram story , he said: "I would like to make a statement about the news in the papers.
"There was an argument on my day off at the place that I went with my friends, but the reason is not about honour and purity as reported. It is not possible to be that way."
Turan, who joined Istanbul Basaksehir on loan in January, is no stranger to controversy.
In May, he was fined £7,000 and banned for a record 16 matches for attacking an assistant referee during a Turkish Super League match.
The previous year, he was sacked from the Turkish national football team squad by then-manager Fatih Terim after verbally and physically assaulting a Turkish sports journalist on a flight to a match.
- Amistra lift Moi Cup Polo titleSports 11 hours ago
- Rugby: Masinde Muliro thrash Kitale as Bulls and Kisumu drawRugby 11 hours ago
- Avire returns to haunt Mt. Kenya United as Sofapaka wins season openerFootball 11 hours ago
- Sterling responds to racial attack at Chelsea, reveals who is to blameFootball 19 hours ago
- De Bryune injury update – bad news for Man City fansPremier League 1 week ago
- Rugby: Shujaa in yet another poor outingRugby 11 hours ago
- Football legend Pele attacks Lionel MessiFootball 3 days ago