Former Brazilian striker Ronaldo buys La Liga club
Former Brazilian striker Ronaldo has taken control of Real Valladolid after buying 51 percent of the La Liga club’s shares.
At a press conference held in the Valladolid city yesterday, Valladolid president Carlos Suarez said: “Today is a starting point. Ronaldo personally acquires 51 percent of the shares of Real Valladolid.”
“He is an idol that loves and spreads a dream.”
Ronaldo played in Spain for Real Madrid and Barcelona, while also winning the World Cup twice with Brazil.
“This is a very important day for me,” he said. “I’ve gone through a lot to prepare both within the game and outside it.
“You can count on us to consolidate Real Valladolid in the top division and to keep building our dream.”
Valladolid earned promotion to the top tier last season.
La Liga also opened an investigation last month into the poor condition of the club’s pitch at their Jose Zorrilla stadium, following a 1-0 loss to Barcelona.
Ronaldo will bring a sprinkling of stardust, with the former forward widely regarded as one of the game’s greatest ever players.
He retired in 2011, having been named Fifa World Player of the Year in 1996, 1997 and 2002.
The 41-year-old has appealed to the Valladolid fans to help shape the club’s future.
“I want everyone to be a part of this club to give us ideas, opinions, criticisms and aspirations. I want you to be part of the present and future of Real Valladolid.”
- 21 offences Cristiano Ronaldo should have been red-carded for in the past Football 21 hours ago
- Senior KPL coach and star player in silent war over hot slayqueenFootball 46 minutes ago
- Paul Pogba showers Jose Mourinho with praise following Champions League winFootball 19 hours ago
- Sh1.1m raised for noble cause: Chebii swings to victory as Weru registers maiden course Hole-in-OneGolf 3 days ago
- Is Harambee Stars coach Sebastien Migne preparing to leave?Football 18 minutes ago
- Revealed! Why Mourinho was lying on the ground at Wembley stadiumGossip & Rumours 1 week ago
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 1 day ago