Kenya crash out of tourney
Kenya have been eliminated from the 2018 Women’s volleyball U20 African Nations Championship after falling 3-1 (25-20, 19-25, 23-25, 27-29) to Cameroon in yesterday’s decisive Group A match, at Kasarani Gymnasium.
The youthful Malkia Strikers started off strongly claiming the first set 25-20, before their poor service, attack and back court defence gifted the Cameroonians the second 25-19 and third 25-23 sets respectively.
The result saw Kenya finish third in the group with one win as group leaders Cameroon and their West African rivals Nigeria advanced to tomorrow’s semifinals. Nigeria beat Tanzania 3-1 in an early kick off match at the same venue.
Surprise package Nigeria will clash with record winners Egypt in the first semifinal as Cameroon take on either Congo DRC or Rwanda in the other tie.
The top two teams of the week-long tournament, whose finals are slated for Sunday, will represent Africa in next year’s FIVB World U20 Championship in Japan.
- World Cup star Luka Modric accepts eight-month prison sentencePremier League 21 hours ago
- Pogba’s Man United future in fresh doubt as Barcelona plan 'full-scale assault' Premier League 1 day ago
- Kenya Open: Kibet and Okutoyi win Kenya Open titlesTennis 9 hours ago
- BOXING: Zarika in thrill of night battleBoxing 2 weeks ago
- Gladys Cherono wins women race at the Berlin MarathonAthletics 6 days ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 4 days ago
- Anthony Joshua next fight confirmedBoxing 2 months ago