Kenya crash out of tourney
Kenya have been eliminated from the 2018 Women’s volleyball U20 African Nations Championship after falling 3-1 (25-20, 19-25, 23-25, 27-29) to Cameroon in yesterday’s decisive Group A match, at Kasarani Gymnasium.
The youthful Malkia Strikers started off strongly claiming the first set 25-20, before their poor service, attack and back court defence gifted the Cameroonians the second 25-19 and third 25-23 sets respectively.
The result saw Kenya finish third in the group with one win as group leaders Cameroon and their West African rivals Nigeria advanced to tomorrow’s semifinals. Nigeria beat Tanzania 3-1 in an early kick off match at the same venue.
Surprise package Nigeria will clash with record winners Egypt in the first semifinal as Cameroon take on either Congo DRC or Rwanda in the other tie.
The top two teams of the week-long tournament, whose finals are slated for Sunday, will represent Africa in next year’s FIVB World U20 Championship in Japan.
- Former star survives assassination attempt from his own fan [Photos]Football 5 hours ago
- Referee forgets coin, makes captains play rock-paper-scissors instead – then is suspendedFootball 3 hours ago
- Rugby: Kenya drops in global rankings after Canada thrashingRugby 14 hours ago
- Financial Abuse: UEFA warns clubs after Man City’s dirty linen leaksFootball 1 hour ago
- Emerging Stars' quest for place in 2020 Olympics begins todayFootball 14 hours ago
- Meet Susanna Dinnage – the most powerful woman in footballPremier League 2 hours ago
- Bandari back from Zanzibar tripFootball 14 hours ago