Champ Wanyonyi lifts Boxing Day crown
African Boxing Union (ABU) light heavyweight champion Daniel Wanyonyi beat Peter Wamukula to win the Kenya Professional Boxing Commission (KPBC) super middleweight contest at Pal Pal Gymnasium in Gokomba, Nairobi, on Tuesday evening.
Wanyonyi won the one-sided bout in round two on knock-out when he summoned his experience and tact that Wamukula failed to match in all corners of the ring.
“I feel great to end the year in style. I had expected my opponent to be equal to the task, but his best was not good for me,” said Wanyonyi.
“I was using this fight to prepare for next season. I want to compete in several title fights in 2018,” he added.
Victor Wesonga of Administration Police (AP) was over the moon after he earned his first win since he joined the high profile contests some months ago.
Wesonga defeated Abdul Noor through technical knock-out in the opening round of their four round featherweight contest.
“I had promised not to give my challenger breathing space. I am glad I lived to up to the promise. Noor had nowhere to hide in the ring,” said Wesonga.
Rebah Matanda made her spectacular debut in the showpiece as he won 60-54, 60-54, 60-54 against Nicholine Achieng in the women’s featherweight contest. Matanda said good preparations in the run up to the bout earned her the victory.
Michael Nyawade, another AP officer, won his super featherweight contest against Joshua Omukhulu of Butere in Kakamega County with a similar 60-54, 60-54, 60-54 margin. The 43-year-old Omukhulu, a father of 11, vowed to win the competition next year.
The contests were graced by Africa Commonwealth Boxing representative and former Makadara Member of Parliament, Reuben Ndolo who advocated for low budget fights to keep boxers busy. Meanwhile KPBC is set to hold its elections in April next year. KPBC chairman Hillary Alila said he will not defend the seat. "I want to allow other people lead the federation," he said.
- Salah disappoints as Egypt crushed by RussiaFootball 3 hours ago
- Spain face date with destiny against Iran todayWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Argentina hope arrival of Messi's wife Roccuzzo can stop him blaming himself for penalty missWorld Cup 2018 11 hours ago
- Gor Mahia thrash Thika to dislodge Mathare at the top Football 1 month ago
- Man United fans want Mourinho to land top target after stellar World Cup displayWorld Cup 2018 16 hours ago
- Saudi Arabia's official team plane catches fire in mid airWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago