Rugby: Shujaa cornered in Cape Town
Kenya lost 19-17 to Samoa in the Challenge Trophy quarterfinal of the second leg of the Cape Town Sevens yesterday.
It was the third defeat for Shujaa in their Cape Town outing after falling 14-21 and 26-7 to France and South Africa respectively in their Saturday Group A matches.
Their only win in the tournament came on day one when they humiliated Russia 34-0.
Tomasi Alosio grounded a converted try to put Samoa ahead but Kenya responded immediately through Sammy Oliech’s unconverted try after receiving a pass from Oscar Ouma.
Dan Sikuta then beat the Samoan defence to land the second try at the far corner as Kenya led 10-5 before Joe Perez restored Samoa's lead at the stroke of halftime with a converted try.
Tupou Alatasi extended the lead after the break making it 29-10. Jeffrey Oluoch rushed to score a converted try for Kenya, but it was a little too late for the East Africans.
Focus now shifts to next month’s (January 26-28) third round of the series in Sydney, Australia.
Meanwhile, South African Seabelo Senatla became the fastest scorer of 200 World Rugby Sevens Series tries on Saturday. Senatla achieved the feat in 35 tournaments. [Rodgers Eshitemi]
- How Eliud Kipchoge’s record has set the stage for faster marathonsAthletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 2 days ago
- Don’t lift ban on Russia, whistleblower warns World Anti-Doping AgencyAthletics 2 days ago
- Malkia Strikers squad ready to fly Kenyan flag high Volleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo red card: What Juventus star said to referee revealedFootball 2 days ago
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 2 days ago
- What’s left of Conseslus Kipruto’s car after Tuesday night crash? [Photos]Athletics 2 days ago