Rugby: Shujaa cornered in Cape Town
Kenya lost 19-17 to Samoa in the Challenge Trophy quarterfinal of the second leg of the Cape Town Sevens yesterday.
It was the third defeat for Shujaa in their Cape Town outing after falling 14-21 and 26-7 to France and South Africa respectively in their Saturday Group A matches.
Their only win in the tournament came on day one when they humiliated Russia 34-0.
Tomasi Alosio grounded a converted try to put Samoa ahead but Kenya responded immediately through Sammy Oliech’s unconverted try after receiving a pass from Oscar Ouma.
Dan Sikuta then beat the Samoan defence to land the second try at the far corner as Kenya led 10-5 before Joe Perez restored Samoa's lead at the stroke of halftime with a converted try.
Tupou Alatasi extended the lead after the break making it 29-10. Jeffrey Oluoch rushed to score a converted try for Kenya, but it was a little too late for the East Africans.
Focus now shifts to next month’s (January 26-28) third round of the series in Sydney, Australia.
Meanwhile, South African Seabelo Senatla became the fastest scorer of 200 World Rugby Sevens Series tries on Saturday. Senatla achieved the feat in 35 tournaments. [Rodgers Eshitemi]
- Messi’s diehard fan commits suicide after Argentina shockerWorld Cup 2018 13 hours ago
- Challenges facing Argentina ahead of their must-win group game against NigeriaWorld Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- “It might be my last World Cup,” says PogbaWorld Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- Xhaka and Shaqiri facing possible bans as FIFA probes controversial celebrationsWorld Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- England lineup against Panama leaked, Southgate brings Chelsea youngstarWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Isle of Man TT rider Dan Kneen dies after collision with course carSports 3 weeks ago