Kipchoge, Keitany awarded by Association of International Marathons and Distance Races
This is the third consecutive year for the distance runner to bag the prize
The two were recognised by the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) in Greece.
Eliud Kipchoge and Mary Keitany of Kenya were named male and female marathon runners of the year for 2017 by the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) at the AIMS Best Marathon Runner (BMR) Gala in Athens on Friday (10).
Kipchoge and Keitany recognised by the AIMS members, representing 435 of the world’s leading and most prestigious races from 114 countries and territories, including the Athens Marathon, The Authentic, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, Comrades, New York, Paris and Tokyo Marathons.
This is the third consecutive year that Kipchoge, 33, has been recognised with the AIMS Best Marathon Runner Award. In September, Kipchoge won the BMW Berlin Marathon in a world-leading time of 2:03:32.
In May, Kipchoge took part in an assisted time trial on the Monza Formula 1 track sponsored by Nike. The aim of the event was to break the two-hour barrier for a marathon. He narrowly missed it, reaching the finish in 2:00:25. Kipchoge was unable to attend the ceremony.
Keitany received the award for the fifth time, drawing level with Paula Radcliffe of Britain.
Keitany, 35, was presented with the AIMS World Record award earlier this month in recognition for her marathon world record breaking performance of 2:17:01 at the Virgin Money London Marathon on 23 April 2017.
“I am honoured to be recognised with this award by the race directors of AIMS membership," Keitany said. "I have been very pleased with my form this year and this award, in front of such a big gathering of the marathon community in Athens, the birthplace of our sport, is a great recognition of my efforts.”
- Floyd Mayweather responds to UFC Champion Khabib challenging him to a fightBoxing 10 hours ago
- Lukaku delivers BAD NEWS to Man Utd fans about leaving, reveals destination Premier League 14 hours ago
- Why Kenya can’t drop more pointsFootball 4 days ago
- After losing an election, Cosmas Korir wins Sh208m jackpotSports 1 week ago
- Kenya 3-0 Ethiopia: Pictures of DP Ruto celebrating wildly go viral Football 1 day ago
- Kenya's anti-doping agency on the spot for tricking boxer to get her urineBoxing 2 weeks ago
- How Arsene Wenger could end up facing Arsenal in the Europa LeagueFootball 1 week ago