Nyairera faces gold favourites Semenya and Niyonsaba tonight
Olympic 800m bronze medalist Margaret Nyairera faces a tough test tonight.
Nyairera will battle against favourites South Africa’s Olympic champion Caster Semenya, silver medalist Francine Niyonsaba of Burundi and America’s Ajee Wilson in the final.
In the semis on Friday night, there were 15 runners with season’s bests below two minutes, with nine of those times quicker than 1:59, and throw in the fact that championships racing is often tactical, predicting the first two automatic qualifiers wasn’t an easy task.
Semenya, Niyonsaba, Nyairera and Wilson all progressed in serene fashion, although it doesn’t take a mathematician to observe that four into three podium positions is a difficult equation to square.
The first race featured the 23-year-old Wilson, who set the USA national record 1:55.61 in Monaco last month.
The second semi-final featured Semenya, who took a bronze medal in the 1500m on Monday. In the heats, she had waited until the final 70m before surging through to win, but here she reacted to the gun like a sprinter, attempting to hit the front at the break.
It was Great Britain’s Olympic finalist Lynsey Sharp who actually led, edging Switzerland’s Selena Buchel, before Wilson’s training partner Charlene Lipsey hit the front, running 28.1 for the first 200m.
- France 4 - 2 Croatia: Identity of World Cup pitch invaders REVEALEDWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- France beat Croatia to win 2018 Fifa World Cup in MoscowWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- France vs Croatia lineups as Fans arrive ahead of World Cup Final World Cup 2018 17 hours ago
- Kenya tops medal table on the final day of World Athletics Under-20 ChampionshipsAthletics 9 hours ago
- World Cup focus now turns to QatarWorld Cup 2018 9 hours ago
- Buyan the bear predicts Croatia will beat France in World Cup finalWorld Cup 2018 16 hours ago
- Messi’s wife jets in to offer support as marriage crisis loomsWorld Cup 2018 2 weeks ago